Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Allo - streamers, DACs, bridges etc.
(26-Jun-2017, 11:57)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(26-Jun-2017, 10:24)octaviars Wrote: I found this from Rane regarding AES3 vs. SPDIF and how to go from one to the other and what difference there are.

I think Devialets AES input is transformer coupled hence the possibility to run it with SPDIF directly if I get it right.

Perhaps Devialet also sounds good via a rca input with SPDIF most comparisons today are AIR vs. AES vs. USB. 

http://www.rane.com/note149.html

Very interesting, thanks for sharing!

Going back to the S/PDIF v AES debate can I remind everyone that it was Devialet who said that the AES input was qualitatively better than the other inputs when connecting an external renderer or CD player. In the earlier days (up to 2013, so leading up to the launch of the 500?) the S/PDIF to AES link was recommended for linking dual monos, in fact I believe there had been plans to offer this cable with the 500 but in the end it shipped with a Transparent S/PDIF cable.

The reason given was that with the AES port you input on a transformer which allows for greater cable length among other things.

Guillaume

I really cant see how a spdif to AES3 cable could give you the benefit of having longer cables as it has to be AES to AES to get the balanced line and higher voltage that can drive longer cables and reject noise better.

It is the output that states how it will be at the end of the cable not the other way......so a digital RCA to XLR will perhaps be better than RCA to RCA but it is still a SPDIF signal entering a AES input with a transformer. If the AES input is better there must be something in the circuit in the amp that is different between AES and SPDIF handeling. 

Lots of info regarding rca and xlr cables.

http://www.rane.com/note151.html
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Messages In This Thread
RE: Allo - streamers, DACs, bridges etc. - by MIKE - 25-Jun-2017, 22:21
RE: Allo - streamers, DACs, bridges etc. - by MIKE - 26-Jun-2017, 08:41
RE: Allo - streamers, DACs, bridges etc. - by octaviars - 26-Jun-2017, 14:54