Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Allo - streamers, DACs, bridges etc.
Ok, I took the plunge after a bit of deliberation.

Ordered a digiOne, BNC cable, rca adapter, case, and the basic PSU FROM Allo (about £140). (I forgot about the Roon discount code but their customer service was excellent on a previous bit of help I needed, so I'm hoping I might still get it retrospectivelyWink )

Then ordered a Pi3 (£33 Amazon), and also a Neutrik NADIT BNC-MX. BNC 75ohm to AES 110 ohm convertor (£37 studio connections).

This was only meant as a 'cheap' temporary solution (depending on what the upcoming Devialet streamer brings, and when.) but also an experiment with spdif/AES into the Devialet instead of USB or Ethernet without investing too much money. I suppose it could be permanent depending how it works out.

Total wasn't 'cheap cheap', but cheap compared to a 5K streamer if that claim holds up!

I also have an eBay 5v Linear from china already that I may try too.

Primarily I just want it to resolve the current issue of not being able to sync my lounge hifi and kitchen speaker, which worked perfectly when I had two RAAT devices previously.

Will report back. Doubt I'll have all the components or time before the weekend at the earliest.

Of course, I'm expecting it to sound pretty much the same as USB and Ethernet as I'm not the greatest at telling these apart. What I do know is my system is never quite as good as I think the kit should be, so there's always hope a change like this makes a difference.

What had me hooked from the start was published measurements, jitter at 0.58 picoseconds and noise at 50uV seem like a good place to start if jitter and noise is what it's all about (and some say it is).

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Messages In This Thread
RE: Allo - streamers, DACs, bridges etc. - by MIKE - 25-Jun-2017, 22:21
RE: Allo - streamers, DACs, bridges etc. - by MIKE - 26-Jun-2017, 08:41
RE: Allo - streamers, DACs, bridges etc. - by Hifi_swlon - 27-Jun-2017, 23:57