Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Phantom Design (Internal)
(09-Jul-2017, 18:50)ogs Wrote: I think it is a "normal" driver in electrical terms. Large amounts of EQ and power plus SAM of course. Seems to be connected to the amp output via long pins fastened to the flex wire board at the edge. I guess the drivers use magnets too like an ordinary driver. It's the extremely long linear travel that make them really special. Without SAM controlling the output you'd easily break the bass drivers....

These are the kinds of replies I was looking for! So informative!

Yes, the aluminium frame seems to work extremely well. It shocks me how well their technique works for taking heat from those woofers and drawing it to the back of the Phantom.

Those woofer drivers look like monsters. From what I see in the pics the unit itself is about 20% larger than what we see on the unit from the dome cones on the outside.
I feel like they're right on the edge of usability here with these drivers, I remember hearing that they tried so many iterations and materials and most imploded from the pressure, this looks like if they went any thinner on that aluminium you'd have the same issue.

The reason I'm so fascinated about the woofers is because one of my Phantom's has been through a tough time lately. Both woofers are seriously dented and two of the dents are very deep on the top of the woofers, the others are like small crushes. In saying this, the woofers work 100% perfectly, absolutely no sound difference or inconsistency, and I am so curious as to how that works? How it can be so damaged but still function and sound normal. 

From my knowledge on them the actual 'woofer' itself is far within the casing of the Phantom and the dome drivers are simply a combination of looks, even sound dispersion, and a way to throw the woofer longer, as the cone itself acts as a part of the woofer. So to damage it you would have to actually penetrate the internal components, and the domes won't effect it too much.

Messages In This Thread
Phantom Design (Internal) - by kmjy - 09-Jul-2017, 08:30
RE: Phantom Design (Internal) - by kmjy - 09-Jul-2017, 08:32
RE: Phantom Design (Internal) - by ogs - 09-Jul-2017, 11:40
RE: Phantom Design (Internal) - by Hifi_swlon - 09-Jul-2017, 18:05
RE: Phantom Design (Internal) - by ogs - 09-Jul-2017, 18:50
RE: Phantom Design (Internal) - by kmjy - 09-Jul-2017, 19:46
RE: Phantom Design (Internal) - by Jean-Marie - 17-Jul-2017, 19:09
RE: Phantom Design (Internal) - by streamy - 10-Jul-2017, 18:01
RE: Phantom Design (Internal) - by ozsound - 17-Jul-2017, 18:18