Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moderation
The discussions going on in the Devialet News->Streamer board...? thread at the moment about whether there should be a new section for threads about Roon got me thinking a bit.

It strikes me that changing the structure of the forum in itself is not likely to reduce the number of posts that end up in the wrong thread: it's human nature that some people have ideas they'd like to express whenever and wherever they occur, while others like to organise things more carefully and will try to post to existing, relevant threads where possible.  That won't change overnight just because there's an extra section in the forum, and there will always be some tension between these ways of interacting with the forum.

So I wonder whether what we need is a bit more active moderation to keep the structure of the forum under control in a more dynamic and reactive way.  The Roon forum seems to be a good example of this: as hifi_swlon said in another post, the moderators there seem to act subtly but quickly to split and merge threads where necessary to keep things on-topic.  Their approach seems to be very effective.  Fortunately both the Roon forum and this forum (DC) seem very good natured for the most part so I expect the moderators don't often have to step in to stop threads going sour.

Which brings me to the question: do we need more moderators, and if so would anyone be willing to take on this role?  I'm not sure exactly how it works and how much time and effort it would entail; maybe Guillaume or Rufus might be able to give some guidance.

I should say right away that I'm not in any way trying to imply that the existing moderators are not doing a great job. Rather I'm aware that there aren't many of them and we shouldn't expect them to be spending 24 hours a day on the forum keeping it under control.  Spreading the load is all I'm suggesting.

Maybe I'm on the wrong track here, in which case I won't be upset if anyone says so.  But if more moderators would be a good thing then I'd be pleased to help (although I haven't done this sort of thing before!).
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK

Messages In This Thread
Moderation - by thumb5 - 16-Jul-2017, 09:45
RE: Moderation - by Confused - 16-Jul-2017, 10:43
RE: Moderation - by GuillaumeB - 16-Jul-2017, 11:47
RE: Moderation - by Hifi_swlon - 16-Jul-2017, 20:46
RE: Moderation - by mdconnelly - 16-Jul-2017, 22:29
RE: Moderation - by Hifi_swlon - 17-Jul-2017, 08:09