Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon/Ethernet Connection Issues
Dear baddog and Pim,
I have been busy with work and just got to play with this stuff again tonight-
I followed the instructions and now IT WORKS! Thanks SO MUCH!!
It is the direct Mac-Ehternet_Devialet that made it different, but easy when you know how.
Thanks ever so much again.
Manythanks
regards
David.
Kind regards,
David.
Shy
Currently: MacMini with Tidal, Qobuz Roon via RAAT / Cat7 Ethernet cable / Devialet 1000 Expert Pro CI (the BIG dogs!)/ Analysis Plus Oval 9 cable / Hyperion Audio 968 / Cheap cable to homemade, 12 inch powered subwoofers.
David - glad it all worked out for you and that you are up and running!

Enjoy!
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(19-Jul-2017, 23:21)ICUDoc Wrote: Hi all,
many thanks for all the great posts on these forums.
I have two things to discuss:
1. Roon sounds GREAT via USB- best I've heard from my system (MacMini/outboard hard drive/ formerly iTunes +/-PureMusic/Hyperion Audio 938 / homemade subs)). Is there room on this forum for a "Best Roon settings for SQ?"??
2. I have just installed Roon and activated the Ethernet input on my D400 (=2xD200 set up as master/companion), and connected the Ethernet cable.
Roon doesn't "see" the Devialet- there are AIR and USB options on the AudioSetup page, but no Devialet option- am I missing something, please??
Maybe you can talk later on about the differences in SQ using USB vs ethernet?
Would appreciate it.

Does DSD work via USB as well, as Devialet was writing to use ethernet connection for it?!

A direct connection between Mac Mini and Devialet via ethernet cable is impossible I guess. Doesn´t the router influence the sound for example? Does a good cable for the last meters really make some benefit when all the rest of the cable in the wall is just simple cable? Cannot place my router near to Mac or Devialet. Always longer wall connections between them.
A direct connection between a Mac Mini and Devialet is absolutely possible, in fact that is what I believe David is using. I have used it myself.

Now my setup is different and all devices are connected via ethernet to a switch or router.

When I used a USB connection to my Devialet a long time back, I had no issue playing back DSD files.

I have found the ethernet connection superior and more convenient than using a USB connection, YMMV.

If you need assistance setting up a direct Mac Mini to Devialet connection let us know.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
OK, direct connection is possible. BUT you will have no opportunity to bring them into your home net by cable then, cause there is no second ethernet port in both units. Right?

Ethernet superior than a short and valuable USB cable although a router and a lot of simple cable is between the units then?

WiFi is no alternative following Devialet´s slogan: the best cable is no cable?!

So you would go with ethernet connection without worrying about router, switch and simple cable and plugs?

I will give Roon a try from on september after vacation. Will have some more questions then I guess...
Thank you Gentlemen for discussing the "new" Roon Air feature as built in Roon version 242.

I'd been away for sometime now and my last settings were with an older build of Roon and Devialet Air 3.0.4 that also worked well. I use a Macbook Air 11 dedicated as a PC source for music with a 4TB ext drive (Thunderbolt) for my setup with D400.

Last evening, I installed the new Roon build and also uninstalled the Devialet Air 3.0.4 on my MacBook Air.

Today, i would be trying the system as Macbook --> Devialet ETH and hope I don't end up scratching my head .. but all goes well ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(26-Jul-2017, 07:53)Nightmare Wrote: OK, direct connection is possible. BUT you will have no opportunity to bring them into your home net by cable then, cause there is no second ethernet port in both units. Right?

Ethernet superior than a short and valuable USB cable although a router and a lot of simple cable is between the units then?

WiFi is no alternative following Devialet´s slogan: the best cable is no cable?!

So you would go with ethernet connection without worrying about router, switch and simple cable and plugs?

I will give Roon a try from on september after vacation. Will have some more questions then I guess...

@Nightmare - please see this post earlier on the thread.

You set up Internet Sharing on your Mac Mini. So the Mac Mini is on your home network using Wifi, and in turn you connect an ethernet cable between the Mac Mini and Devialet to put the Devialet on the network.

If you have any questions, please let me know.
SXSW, US
Ah, thank you baddog!

I misinterpreted that by skimming the postings. Sorry.

So this is, what you would suggest: Direct ethernet connection between the Mac Mini and the Devialet - maybe optimized with a valuable cable (e.g. Supra CAT8) - and the Mac connected to the home network bei WiFi. So Roon will get the data from my NAS via WiFi, when the storage is set up. Right know my music is still on the SSD with the operating system of the Mac. Therewith no router or anything else in the way of the music.

I will start with this setup. And I am sure there will by questions later on...
@Nightmare - That is correct. The only outlier is I am not certain with DSD files whether or not they can be played without first being converted to PCM by Roon in this setup.I know that is not the case when both the Mac and Devialet are connected via ethernet. Just an FYI.
SXSW, US
Thank you!

Maybe someone else knows?!

But output (Mac) and input(Dev) are the same in this setup. So I would wonder if it shouldn´t work.