Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm interested in the 120 series...
Hello Flm09,

I'll respond, as I'm one who had a D120 and upgraded. I don't have any knowledge of the Icon Audio amplifier or your speakers.

My first point is that I upgraded because I loved the D120 and wanted to stay current in the amplifier line up; I was undecided for a long time, but reviews and comments by others as well as the additional power and interest in the future streaming board helped me decide to make the upgrade choice. I don't think the D220 upgrade has lost 'warmth' however, and some have commented that the new amps sound more 'analogue' than the Expert series. But I don't think you are interested in the upgrade or Pro series anyway.

The second point would be that I don't think many owners of Devialet amps think of the Devialet 'sound' as warm or analogue in character. At least not in an overt way. I personally find the sound quite 'correct' and neither notably warm or digital in any way. But the detail is absolutely there, both with the Expert amps and the Pro series. I have used several tube amps in the past, and I don't feel I'm missing warmth or emotion with Devialet Expert or Pro amps.

I actually have a NuPrime amp in my office, and it is certainly a more.... lean (?) sounding amp than the Devialet.

As the Icon Audio amp is a tube amp, it will almost certainly have a much different character. If you really want the sound of 'warm tubes' it might be the amp that suits your ears and preferences. If you have come down to these two contenders, you must have listened to both, and so should have a feel about the way the amps work, especially with your speakers.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada

Messages In This Thread
I'm interested in the 120 series... - by Flm09 - 23-Jul-2017, 15:37
RE: I'm interested in the 120 series... - by Damon - 23-Jul-2017, 17:32