Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm interested in the 120 series...
If you're looking for detail then a Devialet is likely to deliver it, in spades, with the right speakers. On the other hand if you're looking for warmth, I wouldn't say that's one of its main characteristics; rather, it's a rather tonally neutral amplifier in both the original Expert and new Expert Pro incarnations. That said, it does offer tone controls so you might be able to experiment and "dial in" some warmth to your taste.

Not sure how much reading around you might have done, but you might know that the Devialet is heavily based on digital technology. Even the analog inputs are immediately converted to digital and make their way through the amp in purely digital form. The power stage is a hybrid of analog and digital, which is claimed to give the accuracy of class A analog with the high efficiency of class D digital. Now, you said you like "analog" sound: I'm not sure what you really mean by that, but I can say that -- to my ears at least -- the Devialet does not suffer from the criticisms people often level at digital audio and class D amplifiers (whether or not they are justified in stereotyping such things as "digital sound").

Finally, it's easy to look at what is a rather slim and elegant "pizza box" and think it can't possibly have enough guts to drive big, power-hungry speakers to a decent level. I still find it surprising, even shocking, how much power they can deliver. That might be a factor to be aware of if you're auditioning against other amplifiers that look more imposing.

As always there is no substitute for listening, ideally in your home and with your speakers, before you consider buying. Where are you based? Is there a dealer near you?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK

Messages In This Thread
I'm interested in the 120 series... - by Flm09 - 23-Jul-2017, 15:37
RE: I'm interested in the 120 series... - by thumb5 - 23-Jul-2017, 17:43