Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
AudioQuest’s Niagara 1000 power strip
@WesCrackin
I'll give my thoughts on the AQ 1000. I did try it at home on my own system. I don't remember which power cord I was using, but it was provided by the dealer, as I didn't have an extra of my own. I was also using the AQ cord that Devialet supplied with the Pro upgrade. NRG-X? In truth, I did not hear the kind of improvement that Darko reported, nor the improvement that another reviewer observed. (Stereophile perhaps?). I will say that other comments Darko has made did match my own experiences; the W4S modified Sonos Connect for example, and even the Nordost Purple Flare power cord (ahem, cable) for the Sonos. Actually, I'd say that $75.00 cord on the W4S Connect made a bigger difference than the AQ Niagara 1000 did.

Your comment about 'less punch' kind of rings a bell with me and my memory. I recall there was a bit of added clarity that I liked, but I agree that it also took something away. My opinion of these things is that they can remove some noise - subtle and background noise - and I do like that, but otherwise I also had a mixed feeling about the AQ 1000. I'm not able to give much more than that, except to say that I did not feel compelled to buy it.

That said, I also had the Shunyata D2000T at home at the same time. It give the noise reduction and clarity that I liked, but also seemed to allow a tonal improvement; just more of the fullness/ information seemed present. Please don't ask for more technical language or descriptive competence - I'm at my limit on that account. The Shunyata also requires stupidly expensive power cables because of the stupid 20 amp C20 plug. I ultimately bought the Shunyata used; I don't personally think it is worth the price new otherwise but... I do like what it does.

Back to your question; I can only offer that I think that it is completely legitimate to decide that the AQ1000 may not be worth the money. It may be that something more - more complex or expensive or capable- is needed to make a difference that is an improvement in your situation. I have the 220 Pro CI and a dedicated electrical circuit, so my electrical environment is different than yours, and that could certainly affect my opinion. Others who have and love the AQ1000 will have different situations as well, and I'm not questioning their experiences or ears at all.

Do you hear anything that you might describe as an 'easier' sound? Could the perceived lack of punch simply be a more correct presentation? A bit of things not all sounding the same, but more subtle differences coming through?

I've also purchased and kept the AQ NRG-Z3 power cord. It was a bigger improvement than the AQ Niagara 1000 power strip, but then that improvement came when plugged into the Shunyata. Unfortunately....
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada

Messages In This Thread
RE: AudioQuest’s Niagara 1000 power strip - by Damon - 04-Feb-2019, 21:02