Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Difference between Gold & Silver?
(28-Jul-2017, 18:23)Mohmm Wrote: Thanks, I missed that site. Seems that the Gold has more up-to-date internals like ADH and SAM.
Yes, and this makes a lot of the difference. The Golds have the 2nd generation ASIC that has a much better performance. I have both the Silver and Gold Phantoms. The Silver Phantom have quite an attenuation at the hights above 12 kHz. Devialet, I guess made this on purpose to lower the noise level. Still the Silvers have more noise. The Golds are very linear up to 20 kHz and beyond. Some prefer the Silvers for that, as the Golds very neutraly reveal sharp recordings and do not make them sound nice for the ear. On the other hand good and excelllent recordings have a much better definition, extraordenous precision and to the cm defined and stable sound stage. The main difference between the Silver and Golds however is in the range of low mids to the hights. In this frequency range the Golds are flat linear and the Silver have some colouring. My personal feeling is that Devialet made a significant improvement there on the electronics/DSP side that could be improved on the Silvers through software update, but has not been done due to reasons of keeping distinct differences in line or are also due to the better ASIC. Then in the very low end the Golds are much more performant due to the stronger amps. All in all, so far all my guests could blindly recognize in a AB test which ones were the Golds and found them clearly better. Nevertheless, the Silvers are great speakers with great cost/benefit ratio and for some they are even the better choice as they are more foregiving when the audio material is not excellent. But be aware, you need a good room and proper setup, not all rooms handle strong and very low frequencies well. Also, when you are not used to bass with little distortion you might be disappointed. With lower quality speakers one rather hears the 2nd and 3rd order distortion than the base tone, not so with the Phantoms.

Messages In This Thread
Difference between Gold & Silver? - by Mohmm - 28-Jul-2017, 17:48
RE: Difference between Gold & Silver? - by streamy - 28-Jul-2017, 19:26
Difference between Gold & Silver? - by Krisp - 23-Oct-2017, 12:29