Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Isoacoustics Gaia Isolation pods
(21-May-2019, 02:36)Axel Wrote:
(08-May-2019, 13:20)Jean-Marie Wrote: I suspect the spiked disks are spiked just to prevent the speakers to slide too easily if pushed on, not for any coupling reason.

Jean-Marie

On this page: http://www.isoacoustics.com/products/gai...s/gaia-ii/
Have a look at the installation video and skip to 4:25 where we are told that the reason for the discs is to couple the Gaia to the solid flooring below. So I wonder what they bring to the party?  I have just sent them an email to ask and I’ll let you know their answer when I have it.

Years ago I started reading up on vibration control and how it worked. When it comes to isolating one thing from another for vibration, soft things that can flex tend to be considered as springs and their effectiveness of a spring as an isolation device depends on the resonant frequency of the spring. You don't get isolation below a frequency that is roughly 1.4 times the resonant frequency of the spring so  if you want isolation below 14 Hz you need to use a spring with a resonant frequency of 10 Hz or lower and the lower the frequency the  more isolation you will get.

The soft layer of the Gaia feet is essentially a spring device. The carpet on a floor and it's underlay will also act as a spring to some degree so if you just sit the Gaia on the carpet you have a spring in contact with another spring forming a spring unit with a combined resonant frequency that's different to that of the Gaia on it's own so you change the effectiveness of the Gaia as an isolation device.

The spiked discs bypass the carpet and underlay and couple directly to the floor beneath them so the Gaia sitting on the disc behaves as if it were sitting directly on the floor in the absence of the carpet and it works as it is intended to work.

I don't know if you really need the discs or not but that is the theory for what they do. If the combined resonant frequency of a Gaia foot sitting on your carpet is lower than the resonant frequency of a Gaia foot sitting on a solid floor, in theory you should get more isolation without the disc, and you would get less isolation without the disc if the combined resonant frequency is higher than that of the Gaia foot directly on the floor.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: Isoacoustics Gaia Isolation pods - by ogs - 09-Aug-2017, 11:40
RE: Isoacoustics Gaia Isolation pods - by Axel - 09-Aug-2017, 13:41
RE: Isoacoustics Gaia Isolation pods - by ogs - 09-Aug-2017, 14:45
RE: Isoacoustics Gaia Isolation pods - by Pim - 11-Aug-2017, 23:24
RE: Isoacoustics Gaia Isolation pods - by Pim - 15-Aug-2017, 08:19
RE: Isoacoustics Gaia Isolation pods - by Pim - 21-Aug-2017, 08:12
RE: Isoacoustics Gaia Isolation pods - by Pim - 21-Aug-2017, 13:01
RE: Isoacoustics Gaia Isolation pods - by Axel - 14-Apr-2019, 13:33
RE: Isoacoustics Gaia Isolation pods - by Axel - 16-Apr-2019, 01:09
RE: Isoacoustics Gaia Isolation pods - by Axel - 25-Apr-2019, 01:01