Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New loudspeakers & room digital correction service
Thierry, I think it is excellent that you have chosen to join the forum.  Welcome! Shy  Plus, I think you joining the forum does indicate that you have confidence in your product, I see participation like this as a very positive sign.

I do have some questions.  Firstly, your website details taking measurements, one at the 'sweet spot', others around the 'sweet spot'.  OK, this makes sense, but I would like to clarify exactly how the sweet spot should be defined.  For example, I can sit exactly equidistant between the speakers, in the classic triangle formation.  So this is my 'sweet spot'.  However, if I walk forwards and backwards in my room, I can hear that the bass increases and decreases, almost as a wave, depending on where I am.  This is entirely normal, and I think I understand the basic reasons behind this phenomenon.  They key point I want to clarify is that my preferred 'sweet spot' does correspond to the point where the bass reinforcement or bass level is subjectively more or less at the maximum.  So in other words, I like to listen where there is more bass not less.  This is my choice, but I do know of another person who more or less does the opposite and has set up his room so he sits where the bass reinforcement or level is more or less at it's lowest.  This is personal preference, but if we both used your service I would be providing measurement where the bass peaks, and the other guy where it drops.  My question is, does this matter?  If it does matter, where should we measure, at max bass, min bass or somewhere in between?

My second question relates to the volume level at which to makes the measurements.  Personally, I do not have a preferred volume level to listen at, sometimes it is loud, sometimes very loud(!), sometimes moderate, sometimes quiet, it depends on many things.  Plus, if I use REW to take measurements, there is a volume range through which I can get error free readings.  So when taking measurements should you aim for high volume, low volume, bang in the middle of the range REW can cope with, nearest to your most common preferred listening level, or again, does it not matter?

My third question is that although I can use REW to take measurements and look at the nice 'All SPL' graphs and similar, I have no idea if I am doing this correctly for the purpose of your measurements.  So as not to waste lots of time, is it a case of someone like myself taking a measurement, sending one though to yourself, you check and confirm it is OK (or otherwise), I can then take the time to do the multiple left / right measurements knowing I am getting things right and not wasting my precious time and indeed yours.  

As a final question, is there a preferred version of REW to use, or just a case of 'use the latest'.

Quite a lot there I know!  But I do like to understand things and get things right.  Plus for me, no rush for a response, it will be a few weeks before I have enough time to quietly take the measurements!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: New loudspeakers & room digital correction service - by Confused - 22-Aug-2017, 20:57