Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New loudspeakers & room digital correction service
(22-Aug-2017, 22:42)SwissBear Wrote:
(22-Aug-2017, 21:56)Dan Wrote: Another question. I use SAM sometings and not others. Should measurements be done with SAM on or off.

Let me try to answer this one: SAM is altering both the amplitude response (SPL) and the phase. You will therefore theoretically need to have two corrections: one with SAM and one without SAM.

Having said that, the goal of any active correction is to standardize the amplitude response so that you have a correct restitution of the tones.

The best way will probably be to chose one way of operating and stick with it. I personally chose to activate SAM by default. I made my measurements with SAM active. The only variable which I am adjusting is the level of SAM (from 0 to 100). This way, the phase is always correctly managed by the active correction, and the amplitude is adjusted depending on the music I am listening to.

Would this make sense for you ?
Interesting points regarding SAM.  I would certainly be interested to read Thierry's thoughts regarding SAM.  To me, it does make sense to have SAM enabled to gain the benefits of phase correction.  However, you get the full phase correction even with SAM at 0%, the SAM % is then simply adding gain to provide low bass extension.  One idea I had was to take the measurements at SAM 50%.  That way, when using the correction filters you have the option to leave SAM at 50%, or dial SAM up or down as required to get a small adjustment of the lowest bass.  Seams like a sensible idea to me, but I am not an expert in this subject!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: New loudspeakers & room digital correction service - by Confused - 23-Aug-2017, 13:54