Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New loudspeakers & room digital correction service
Thierry, many thanks for the answers to my earlier questions.  All were completely clear, except for the one relating to the 'sweet spot'.

This was my earlier question:

Your website details taking measurements, one at the 'sweet spot', others around the 'sweet spot'.  OK, this makes sense, but I would like to clarify exactly how the sweet spot should be defined.  For example, I can sit exactly equidistant between the speakers, in the classic triangle formation.  So this is my 'sweet spot'.  However, if I walk forwards and backwards in my room, I can hear that the bass increases and decreases, almost as a wave, depending on where I am.  This is entirely normal, and I think I understand the basic reasons behind this phenomenon.  They key point I want to clarify is that my preferred 'sweet spot' does correspond to the point where the bass reinforcement or bass level is subjectively more or less at the maximum.  So in other words, I like to listen where there is more bass not less.  This is my choice, but I do know of another person who more or less does the opposite and has set up his room so he sits where the bass reinforcement or level is more or less at it's lowest.  This is personal preference, but if we both used your service I would be providing measurement where the bass peaks, and the other guy where it drops.  My question is, does this matter?  If it does matter, where should we measure, at max bass, min bass or somewhere in between?

Your response:

sweet spot definition might be confusing : by sweet spot I mean the place where you usually sit for listening. The purpose of DRC is to minimize the negative effects of the room once you have chosen a configuration (or have been forced for different reasons...)

OK, if I am honest, that did not really answer my question!  Also, I have been thinking about this a little more.  Taking my own specific case, the 'sweet spot', that is the exact point I sit when listening, is chosen in part because this is the point in the room where I can locate a sofa and the system sounds at it's best to my ears, due in part to a degree of room reinforcement of the bass.  However, in some respects I would like to locate the sofa, say half a metre or so back in the room, a little further away from the speakers.  In many respects this would be a better location, but it is backwards from what is now my 'sweet spot'.  My room allows some options, the 'sweet spot' can move backwards if I want it too.   What I suspect is that the point in the room that I like, with the degree of bass reinforcement, will remain the point I like even with room correction, that is after room correction it will remain the point with slightly elevated bass.  Or maybe not?  This is part of my question and is what I am trying to understand.  One solution to all this that I can think of is that I make two sets of measurements and get two filters, for 'sweet spot #1' and 'sweet spot #2', try both and see what I think.   (I would probably do this iteratively.)  There is nothing like trying stuff for yourself, and it's a bit more business for yourself! Shy
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: New loudspeakers & room digital correction service - by Confused - 24-Aug-2017, 10:54