Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New loudspeakers & room digital correction service
(30-Aug-2017, 07:33)Vivialet Wrote: I gave up on using convolution long time ago. From what I can see from the graphs is that you have a much better frequency response in your room, but also that some deep frequency holes are stuffed now by increasing the level. This is killing the dynamic in my optinion, you have to raise the volume by 6 or 8 db to get the same volume.
Also filters created with REW are out of phase. For the advantage of a better frequency graph you get some (for me unacceptable) downsides...
I prefer using the free mathaudio plugin in foobar to do an offline folding of my audio files, then I don't need any online processing which is also good for sq.
Mathaudio is only removing peaks and also corrects the phase. For me the best sounding correction, and I tried a lot, e.g. Dirac, REW convolution, Accourate, ...

Filters created with REW do not need to "stuff" deep frequency holes (which is a bad thing to do fully agreed) and are not necessarily out of phase. It depends on what you ask. With the help of Rephase you can design "minimum phase" filters that prevent pre-ringing (Mathaudio probably does this automatically).

Why would an online convolution cause SQ issues versus an offline conversion ? Anyway this is a no go for me to convert files online because I stream a lot of music from the web (Tidal, radios).

Indeed it will be interesting to compare HFA with Mathaudio processing.
 Roon Air / convolution HAF / Devialet Expert D200/ DIY power and speakers cable / DIY Speakers Atohm EURUS 1.0 + DIY active SW 

Messages In This Thread
RE: New loudspeakers & room digital correction service - by Alec_eiffel - 30-Aug-2017, 12:47