Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet Lost Recording Playback August 31st, A Truly Special Evening!
(18-Aug-2017, 08:58)disarmamant Wrote: Please excuse my misunderstanding, but why would you want to playback the lacquer at such expense? Surely the lacquer has been cut from a master tape.

Why not make a high resolution digital copy of the master tape and play that back through the 1000 Pro. The analogue signal from the cartridge will be immediately digitised at the phono input of the Devialet in any case.

I'm sure it will be an interesting experience, but why use a £7000 lacquer, I just don't get the point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 'Lost Recordings' are actually remastered in the digital domain, so basically the lacquer is created from a digital copy, so all the lacquer can do is marginally degrade the fidelity of the digital file .  So indeed, you could just feed the digital copy direct to the 1000 Pro and skip the lacquer bit altogether.  I have posted about this before and I can only be honest here, it does annoy me that a company such a Devialet that has pioneered one of the most overtly digital yet high performance products panders to this noncence.  If they did the lost recording stuff and demonstrated it digitally, and thus with the highest possible fidelity, I would have much respect.

But hey!  That's missing the point, it's all about the romance of the thing, and a guess a bit of marketing spin.  'Come and listen to our specially created 24bit PCM file' does not sound quite the same really. 

And in fairness to Hifi Lounge, I am sure it will be a great event, and lets be honest, the utter uniqueness of a play once £7K lacquer does have an appeal.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: Devialet Lost Recording Playback August 31st, A Truly Special Evening! - by Confused - 18-Aug-2017, 09:17