Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reasonably priced USB cable
Thanks guys for the suggestions.
I probably should clarify a bit more what I mean for "reasonably priced". I would say that overall I can stretch to 150-200 NZD but I need to consider the shipping expenses and the change and those can offset the cost noticeably. For example the closest place where to buy a Supra Cable would be australia, there it retails it at 79 AUD (85NZD) + shipping. That is almost the cost of a Cinnamon Audioquest bought in NZ a 99 NZD.
Currency exchange makes a big difference her, for example a 300USD cable once converted is around 410 NZD.
Shipping can also be expensive that is why ordering cables with money back guarantee can backfire because the cost of getting it shipped and then sending it back. In that regard I prefer to go with a solution more costly but that has more chance to be the right one.
To Jonas point I do agree that considering what I already have spent between Headphones and now DAC I will probably end up committing to something more expensive than originally thought but if I start already asking for the best USB cable independently by the price I end up with suggestion that I won't be able to afford even if stretching my budget.
Someone mentioned the Cinnamon of Audioquest, I found out that in NZ there is a decent selection of Audioquest Cable at price that are almost comparable with US price once added the shipping. Do people here have experience with the Cinnamon or the Carbon?
Thanks again for the help
(18-Aug-2017, 23:27)marcor Wrote: Thanks guys for the suggestions.
I probably should clarify a bit more what I mean for "reasonably priced". I would say that overall I can stretch to 150-200 NZD but I need to consider the shipping expenses and the change and those can offset the cost noticeably. For example the closest place where to buy a Supra Cable would be australia, there it retails it at 79 AUD (85NZD) + shipping. That is almost the cost of a Cinnamon Audioquest bought in NZ a 99 NZD.
Currency exchange makes a big difference her, for example a 300USD cable once converted is around 410 NZD.
Shipping can also be expensive that is why ordering cables with money back guarantee can backfire because the cost of getting it shipped and then sending it back. In that regard I prefer to go with a solution more costly but that has more chance to be the right one.
To Jonas point I do agree that considering what I already have spent between Headphones and now DAC I will probably end up committing to something more expensive than originally thought but if I start already asking for the best USB cable independently by the price I end up with suggestion that I won't be able to afford even if stretching my budget.
Someone mentioned the Cinnamon of Audioquest, I found out that in NZ there is a decent selection of Audioquest Cable at price that are almost comparable with US price once added the shipping. Do people here have experience with the Cinnamon or the Carbon?
Thanks again for the help

Marcor, I'm no expert and particularly I haven't tried any of the ultra-expensive USB cables around (so I lack some reference points) but I have used both and clearly they are a step or two up in sound quality. For that amount of money I don't think there are many (or any) better bang-for-the-buck option. But I would like to hear more knowledgeable people give their opinion. Would it be easier for you with the Audioquest cables to buy, try, and return if you don't like it?

Enjoy!

L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ask yourself, for how long time are you going to keep the dac and what do you want out of it? Perhaps it's worth to save some money and buy a better cable? Most new cables aint burned in. So probably it takes several days before it's time to compare. Tried Cinnamon and it's ok but no goosebumps arose. Many cables sound pretty good but often I lack that organic live feeling. Will try more brands within some weeks.
Tidal --> New brand streamer/dac/preamp --> InterM R500Plus monoblocks --> Intelligent Sound Double 12 --> fractal cables --> La Suède
I would recommend a DH Labs Silver Sonic USB cable. Length .5M - $60 USD - ~$83 NZD plus shipping. Well made, works great.

http://silversonic.com/products/digital-cables/usb/
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(19-Aug-2017, 03:33)baddog Wrote: I would recommend a DH Labs Silver Sonic USB cable. Length .5M - $60 USD - ~$83 NZD plus shipping. Well made, works great.

http://silversonic.com/products/digital-cables/usb/

Thanks for the suggestion, but

Online ordering is available for customers in the USA and Canada! Plus, free shipping on US orders $100+ and CA orders $200+

There is a reseller in Melbourne but it ships only in Australia, however I have a colleague that commute quite often from Melbourne I could ask him (and save the shipping Angel  )

I will add this to the list.

cheers
Marco
Hello Marco - Send an email to DH Labs - dhlabs@silversonic.com - Greg might be able to help you out on the order. No guarantees but I have found they are great folks to work with and very responsive.

Barr
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
I tried the DH Labs Mirage USB cable and another "high end" USB (retails >EUR 700 for a 2 m length) - the "high end" cable was better. More detail, eg, snares on drums were more distinct and more transparent. The DH Labs was somewhat flat in comparison.

Out of curiosity, I parted the sleeving of the "high end" cable. Based on the markings on the cable, the base cable surprisingly appeared to be:

www.lindy.com.au/cromo-usb-2-0-cable-type-a-to-b-1m

Even the connectors, which were covered in heat shrink, appeared to be the same.

Very reasonable (AUD 16 for 1.0m) and you can get it from ebay UK if you are unable to obtain it from AU/NZ.
(19-Aug-2017, 05:12)nicoludio Wrote: I tried the DH Labs Mirage USB cable and another "high end" USB (retails >EUR 700 for a 2 m length) - the "high end" cable was better. More detail, eg, snares on drums were more distinct and more transparent. The DH Labs was somewhat flat in comparison.

Out of curiosity, I parted the sleeving of the "high end" cable. Based on the markings on the cable, the base cable surprisingly appeared to be:

www.lindy.com.au/cromo-usb-2-0-cable-type-a-to-b-1m

Even the connectors, which were covered in heat shrink, appeared to be the same.

Very reasonable (AUD 16 for 1.0m) and you can get it from ebay UK if you are unable to obtain it from AU/NZ.

Hi,
I own the cinnamon usb, and i like it very much , i never compared it to a higher end one.
But curious usb cable is very recommended thru the net.

Macbook pro -Air-Roon/-tidal-Devialet200 /frw 10.1.0-power cord burmester: vde reg nr9990
Power conditionner:isotek evo3+isotek sequel pc
Spkr cables: acoustic zen satori
Speakers:wilson audio sabrina