Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The WoW moments
(03-Sep-2017, 02:19)Axel Wrote: Sorry to stay off topic, but the Olympica ll take up no more room than the l. I would imagine that they would work well in a smaller room as the bass is not pronounced and could be reigned in with SAM or the tone control if needed.

No worries about the topic. When I started this thread, I wasn't even certain about where to place it.... Ultimately it is the gear, its fine tuning, placement, etc., which all contribute to those moments of WoW, so discussing speakers, or anything else here, is fine with me.

My quest for new speakers is probably going to take some time since that is dependent on the outcome of discussions with the first lady around Project X (a dedicated listening room!). Unforetunately we are not yet aligned on the prioritization of our projects, in particular conflicting Project Y (a new kitchen) .... Now I am really going off topic!
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
(02-Sep-2017, 21:05)moreno1973 Wrote:
(02-Sep-2017, 20:38)baconbrain Wrote:
(02-Sep-2017, 13:31)Axel Wrote: My Sonus faber Olympica ll speakers now have about 40 hours on them and are starting to sound like the ones that I auditioned. I'm having WoW moments on a regular basis, hearing things that eluded my previous speakers. That's what I love about new gear: lots of WoWs!

Really like the Olympica series from Sonus Faber. Very natural sound and outstanding craftsmanship. Always wanted to try the Olympica l 's since I don't really have the space for floor standers but haven't had the chance yet.

Try Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution. Used for about 9000 Euro. Fantastic match with D250. Ultimate speaker for small rooms.

Or the original Guarneri Homage!  (For my money, the Evolution is a completely different beast, and much less to my taste.)
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Getting this back on topic, I too have had many WoW moments recently. Nothing to do with new speakers, I have had my Blades nearly four years now, but it is those tiny little IsoAccousic feet. I honestly thought that feet like this were bordering on being snake oil hifi foo, but no, WoW moments are being delivered by the bucket load at the moment. Listening to some music yesterday I was actually thinking that if I had just bought the latest 'next generation' Blades and had spent a few £1000's on the upgrade, I would be reasonably happy with the improvement. Yes, you read that right, the feet make it sound like I have new a improved version of the 'old' Blades, they still deliver the sound I love, only better with even more of the good stuff. I will have some time for some Sunday morning listening, unfortunately I am now expecting those WoW moments, so it will be interesting to see if they still arrive when I am ready and waiting for them.

Drifting off topic, I actually think this forum (and many other forums) could do with an off topic 'sticky' thread. Very often threads go off topic, but the off topic stuff is very often at least as interesting as the original topic, sometimes more, so it would be good to have a home for the organically created topics to thrive unhindered.

I also think we could also do with a Sonus Faber thread, they do seam to be very popular as a partner for Devialet's. I have fond memories of a demo of the Olympica ll's, I liked them a lot. They were actually in quite a big room and running from a D400. I do no know if they were running SAM or not, but they did not sound small in that room, quite the opposite, they were delivering all the bass you could possibly want. They were not perfect, (no speakers are) but they were really good to listen too. They would most definitely be on my audition short list if I was looking for something in the £5 to £10K range. I also visited a show once where the Guarneri Evolutions were being used in a demonstration by a subwoofer manufacturer. So you listen to a track with the sub, then without, and marvel at how good the subwoofer is. I left that room impressed by the influence of the subwoofer, but actually more impressed by just how good the Guarneri's were in their own right.

Now to some Sunday morning listening. OK you little WoW moments, I'm ready for you!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(02-Sep-2017, 08:42)baconbrain Wrote:
(02-Sep-2017, 02:19)mdconnelly Wrote: I've always thought of it like runner's high, or deep meditation... it creates a certain brain chemistry that is highly addictive.

Exactly, and it's that addiction which probably drives one to improve that experience through tweaking, experimenting, and ultimately investing considerable time and money ...

I auditioned a set of Gauder Akustik speakers out of their Berlina series a couple of weeks ago, where I sat in a dedicated listening room armed with stick full of my favorite digital music. Three hours later, I walked out of the room and the dealer ( no pun on words intended) asked me what I thought and my immediate response was, "no" those speakers are not for me. He was of course curious as to why, and I struggled to explain to him what was missing, but I knew it was the wow moment. That bit of something that goes beyong just listening to a good system.

I'm a bit confused. If they were missing something how was it a wow moment? Or is it an ironic wow? And it took you 3hrs listening to realise that? I do think that our ears get used to the sonic signature of our own system within the confines of our own unique listening space (which is main point of reference) and that's why it can often be easy to hear discernible differences between different systems and any component changes that are made.
Devialet 250 Firmware 10.1 SAM 100% (USB & AIR Ethernet) Wilson Audio Duette (MK1), REL S3, Innuos Zenith 2TB SSD, Roon, Audioquest Diamond & Chord Epic Reference. Qobuz & Tidal.
(02-Sep-2017, 15:52)RayMo Wrote:
(02-Sep-2017, 02:19)mdconnelly Wrote:
(01-Sep-2017, 23:56)baconbrain Wrote: Hey K4680, Yes it truely is and for really dedicated listening never seems to be enough time.  Smile

I've always thought of it like runner's high, or deep meditation... it creates a certain brain chemistry that is highly addictive.

Nice though the image is, did you seek permission from the copyright holder to reproduce this here?
Devialet 250 Firmware 10.1 SAM 100% (USB & AIR Ethernet) Wilson Audio Duette (MK1), REL S3, Innuos Zenith 2TB SSD, Roon, Audioquest Diamond & Chord Epic Reference. Qobuz & Tidal.
(03-Sep-2017, 16:17)Floyd67 Wrote: I'm a bit confused. If they were missing something how was it a wow moment? Or is it an ironic wow? And it took you 3hrs listening to realise that? I do think that our ears get used to the sonic signature of our own system within the confines of our own unique listening space (which is main point of reference) and that's why it can often be easy to hear discernible differences between different systems and any component changes that are made.

Hi Floyd67,

Probably poor wording on my part, but it was the exactly the WoW moment that was missing. Over the course of 3 hours we swapped out a couple of components, played around with the positioning of the speakers, and tried to create a situation which at least came close to my unique listening space at home. (which btw is far from ideal) Don't get me wrong, the Gauder's are excellent speakers and I enjoyed every minute of the session.
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
(03-Sep-2017, 09:32)thumb5 Wrote:
(02-Sep-2017, 21:05)moreno1973 Wrote:
(02-Sep-2017, 20:38)baconbrain Wrote: Really like the Olympica series from Sonus Faber. Very natural sound and outstanding craftsmanship. Always wanted to try the Olympica l 's since I don't really have the space for floor standers but haven't had the chance yet.

Try Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution. Used for about 9000 Euro. Fantastic match with D250. Ultimate speaker for small rooms.

Or the original Guarneri Homage!  (For my money, the Evolution is a completely different beast, and much less to my taste.)

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Evolutions are the compacts of choice for classical but outside of that genre there are better choices. Is that accurate?
(03-Sep-2017, 18:53)baconbrain Wrote:
(03-Sep-2017, 09:32)thumb5 Wrote:
(02-Sep-2017, 21:05)moreno1973 Wrote: Try Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution. Used for about 9000 Euro. Fantastic match with D250. Ultimate speaker for small rooms.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Evolutions are the compacts of choice for classical but outside of that genre there are better choices. Is that accurate?
Not in my opinion. The earlier versions have that reputation, I've not heard them. Classical is not a large part of what I listen to, and for me the evolutions are all rounders, and they do very well with everything I've thrown at them.

Since the 440pro arrived, and a minor room move about has given me a better listening position I've been amazed by how good my system is now, it really sounds like there is nothing between me and the master tape.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
(04-Sep-2017, 07:59)Soniclife Wrote: Not in my opinion. The earlier versions have that reputation, I've not heard them.  Classical is not a large part of what I listen to, and for me the evolutions are all rounders, and they do very well with everything I've thrown at them.

Since the 440pro arrived, and a minor room move about has given me a better listening position I've been amazed by how good my system is now, it really sounds like there is nothing between me and the master tape.

Thanks for the feedback. Although I have a pretty extensive classical library, I must admit it is also not the genre I spend the most time listening to.
Yes, the wOw moments...
Years ago I had a decent system (thought I had Wink ) and when it got dark and I'd time on my own to listen to music I sat down on the couch in the dark (eyes closed) and listened to my favourite music. It took me 10 to 15 min to get into this meditative state of conciousness where the brain at a certain moment snaped into the music and the listening room around me just faded away. I like these wow moments because it really is like a lucid dream where you can walk around and you are fully aware you are dreaming. It was like walking between the musicians...nice.

Recently with my D it is much easier to get into this state of 'being there'...it's a question of seconds to be 'there' but getting your thoughts out of the way is not so easy nowadays compared to the past. But if you can make it, it's like fueling energy by listening to music. I love it.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin