Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get the best Phono Signal?
(16-Jan-2018, 01:18)Greg Wrote: ‘Here’s an update. My 220 Pro is now also C/I upgraded.

I tried using just the SUT’s inline and passive and I got no reduction in hiss. The hiss was a pain in the arse and confirmed my view previously expressed that the Devialet phono stage is sub standard and not of a quality that matches its digital input capability. If I am wrong, and noting that some of you seem to be satisfied with your Devialet phono stage input, it begs the question, are all our amps equal? Do some of us have better performing kit/modules than others? Adjusting load and gain with the remote on the ‘fly’ made bugger all difference. Making adjustments in the configurator also brought no progress.

I have already said that a valve phonostage with line input was hiss free, albeit a littler coloured.

Just to remind you, my cartridge is an Ortofon Kontra B.

I am now using a Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk phonostage with my 220 C/I Pro and it brings total hiss free, on the fly adjustment, uncoloured very revealing sound, plugged into ‘line’. It is so good it has revived my love of vinyl and I’ve been spinning many more discs rather than listening to my streamed services.

For sure I am happy now, although a little frustrated that Devialet could not spend enough attention to detail to get this Phono aspect of the amps up to equivalent hi end standard, and of course, I’ve had to introduce an additional unit to my system when my overall objective was to minimalise as completely as possible.

Those of you that disagree with my findings are probably operating at a different listening level to me, or, as I have suggested, there is some inconsistency with the quality of products (in this case, the Phono stage) Devialet sell us.

Who knows?

Hi Greg

I said this on a related issue recently: 
https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=4191&page=4

"With MC and a Koetsu set to 0.35 mv I get hiss quite audible from listening seat. Par for the course on most phono stages with low output carts. Another Dev user (Koetsu Tiger eye and Lyra) also gets same level of hiss and in a quite different room.
I tried a SUT for a few months in my system (EAR MC4) but overall found it slightly softened dynamics and also had a slight, not unpleasant, sheen to the sound. Immediately I preferred it without, including the hiss."

If memory serves I used the EAR MC4 SUT on the 4 Ohm tap between the TT arm and Dev Phono taps. I also got hiss until I selected 'High loading' on RAM, can't remember what mv sensitivity setting.The result was no hiss, good volume but slightly coloured as I've said above. I also tried two other phono line stages (Audio Research and Ayre) both were ok but I felt they were dynamically constrained compared to the Dev and less involving - also more boxes and cables which is a real step backwards.

My feeling is that the Dev Phono is one of the best in the business, but if you have a low output MC then you will have hiss. The bottom line is can you put up with the hiss? 

I dont mind it as it doesn't bother me when a track is playing. Also I quite like it as an indicator that phono is on and to be careful dropping the Koetsu into the groove. With amplifiers as powerful as Devialet dropping the needle onto a record when the volume is cranked up has blown up many a speaker!

Kevin
Devialet 1000 Pro; Magico A5 loudspeakers; Metronome T3a Signature CD Transport; dCS Network Bridge; Kuzma M turntable; Kuzma 4Point14 tonearm; Koetsu Sky Blue; Benzmicro LPS; Audioquest Vodka Ethernet; Transparent Reference Digital RCA-RCA; Transparent Reference XL MM2 speaker cable; Transparent Reference mains cable; PS Audio P5 PowerPlant; Artesania and Finite Elemente equipment racks 
North Somerset, UK     

Messages In This Thread
How to get the best Phono Signal? - by Greg - 06-Sep-2017, 22:53
RE: How to get the best Phono Signal? - by KIBM - 16-Jan-2018, 10:54