Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Invitation to send your PRO to Paris
(09-Nov-2017, 00:14)David A Wrote:
(08-Nov-2017, 20:48)ssfas Wrote: I don't use Roon and amongst all Devialet owners I reckon I'm in the majority.

I'd not heard of Roon RAAT, so have just looked it up and it appears to be something similar to Airplay and Devialet Air. 

So why should Devialet start accommodating AS A PRIORITY a service for a third party system when they already provide their own, and I understand Roon and Devialet Air works very well.

Perhaps someone can explain why Roon RAAT is so important and should take preference over implementing, for example, Qobuz, which for many users is their main source of music.

Last I heard Devialet Expert is not a platform for Roon users, it is a platform for music listeners some of whom use Roon.There is another reason. Devialet has already entered into a collaboration with Roon and Devialet owners who use Roon have benefited because of Roon's incorporation of Devialet AIR in its software. Collaboration is a 2 way street and it would be nice to see that collaboration continued with Devialet implementing Roon Ready capability into it's software.

You're right that Devialet Expert isn't a platform for Roon users but for music listeners, some of whom use Roon. That means it's also not a platform for Qobuz users, some of whom use Roon. On the other hand Roon is an option for more Devialet owners than Qobuz because Qobuz service is available in fewer countries where Devialet is sold than Roon is.

There's no way of knowing how many Devialet owners use a particular 3rd party product but it's very easy to tell which 3rd party products are available where Devialet is sold.
 I'd put Qobuz support on the same priority level as Roon support if Qobuz decided to make its service as widely available as Roon is. I tried to subscribe to Qobuz but they won't accept customers from Australia. Roon does. I'm a Devialet owner and I use Roon because it benefits me and offers advantages when used with my Devialet. I don't use Qobuz because they won't provide service to Australia and that means that they offer nothing to Devialet users here.

I'd rather see Devialet supporting 3rd party options which are available wherever Devialet is sold than supporting options which aren't available everywhere Devialet is sold. I don't know if a Roon licence is available everywhere you can buy a Devialet but I do know that a Roon licence is available in a lot more places where Devialet is sold than Qobuz is, and that's a compelling argument for Roon getting a higher priority from Devialet than Qobuz in my view.

Qobuz can change that situation whenever they like by offering service in more countries, and I'm happy to change my assessment of the priority I think Devialet should give them if they do so. At present I think they should have a low priority because they choose not to make their service available to more Devialet owners.

First and foremost, Devialet is for playing music. So the first thing to get right is music services, from servers and online. For that you need Unpnp/Dnla, which is what most people use. You them need Tidal, Spotify, Qobuz, Deezer, etc. I think HDtracks are about to launch streaming, which is USA/UK/Germany only. 

You also need a wireless protocol that is seriously good. That should Devialet Air. There should never be dependence on a third party. For example, what if Onkyo or anyone else bought Roon? Airplay is a no brainer and it would be stupid for any streaming device not to have airplay. 

The reason why Qobuz is currently only in Europe is because it went bust several years ago and then decided to build a proper business slowly and profitably with a great product. How profitable is Tidal? What if MQA does not generate revenues to merit the record companies’ continued support? If for those reasons Tidal failed, where would Roon be?

Bear in mind that Tidal is almost certainly losing money and Sprint bought a third, presumably to use exclusive content to sell mobile contacts. They will no doubt buy the whole thing fairly soon and if it doesn’t work they could well ditch it.
250 Pro CI; Innuos Zen Mk3; Claro dual turntable (Expert Stylus Denon + OL Aladdin Mk2); RCM Sensor2; Wilson Sabrina; OePhi speaker cables; Puritan PM156 conditioner and Ultimate cables.

Messages In This Thread
Invitation to send your PRO to Paris - by Wdw - 14-Sep-2017, 02:56
RE: Invitation to send your PRO to Paris - by ssfas - 09-Nov-2017, 01:05
RE: Invitation to send y - by Hifi_swlon - 17-Apr-2018, 00:21