Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Invitation to send your PRO to Paris
Well, if 50 people have signed a petition for Roon RAAT, that must be at least 0.5% of Devialet customers.

I do wonder with all this moaning and complaining why most people here haven't sold their Devialet unit and purchased something else. Can I recommend Pioneer? AVM? I love mine, so does my family who use it, and it will be even better when my kids can use their various sources like spotify and airplay when they have friends round and have parties. My younger son loves a £30 Chromecast I bought the other day as he and his mates can cast youtube videos to the TV. Spotify and airplay are important because Devialet is a lifestyle product like Bose and B&O as well as being high-end audio, and that is why it is likely to be successful.

For my part, if Core Infinity was a total dud I would still love my Devialet and continue with my Aries streamer.

The key thing does seem to be to get Devialet Air working properly for the simple reason that these days people simply want to pick up their phone and play music, whether on headphones, Sonos or their main audio system. I do all three, I have a little Mojo DAC that is just brilliant, we use a Sonos Soundbar for TV and radio, it is only the Devialet that still need an external streamer.

The idea that Devialet will give up on its wireless protocol, let alone become reliant on a third party protocol, is just plain madness. By all means have 100 third party protocols, just make sure their own one works as a priority.

I would hope Devialet are thinking of something like a Mini-Expert, say half the size, that you just plug in, connect to your network, streams just about anything and could also stream to wireless speakers. Who knows what they are planning. Whatever it is, like Sonos, it needs a 100% Devialet wireless protocol.

As far as Devialet going bust, see:
https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/28/high-e...-and-more/

Devialet has a lot of money and some important strategic investors. It also has the most successful European businessman on the Board of Directors. I have a Sonos Soundbar for the simple reason you can't get half-decent sound out of a flat screen TV. It is clear that SAM is the basic IP value in the company and they have a pretty good strategy to exploit it.

Compare that to Tidal. JZ is trying to off-load it, had been for a long time, he has no strategy and is looking for a buyer with one. Sprint's strategy seems pretty shaky and it seems to be no more than a punt. They may just write off their $200m and forget about it. It doesn't bode well for MQA either. If Tidal ends up owned by a phone company, how many customers are going to pay for HD music or take contracts with sufficient data allowances. So Sprint could buy Tidal and dump MQA.

MQA has a disruptive strategy. The majority investor is a Luxembourg fund, but the record company majors (UMG, WMG, Sony) have shareholdings. They see possible revenue streams, but I don't think they have any interest in sound quality. They never have, so why now? MQA has only a fraction of the cash available to Devialet.

I find it far more informative to look at these things from the perspective of the business strategy of the investors, you will probably learn more about Devialet from reading the Financial Times than What HiFi.
250 Pro CI; Innuos Zen Mk3; Claro dual turntable (Expert Stylus Denon + OL Aladdin Mk2); RCM Sensor2; Wilson Sabrina; OePhi speaker cables; Puritan PM156 conditioner and Ultimate cables.

Messages In This Thread
Invitation to send your PRO to Paris - by Wdw - 14-Sep-2017, 02:56
RE: Invitation to send your PRO to Paris - by ssfas - 09-Nov-2017, 13:07
RE: Invitation to send y - by Hifi_swlon - 17-Apr-2018, 00:21