Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Invitation to send your PRO to Paris
Glad to read about the quick turnaround of the CI upgrades!

Motivated by the positive feedback here, I finally started the CI upgrade process for my 220 Pro. Which seems to take a longer while for me, maybe due to the holiday season, which I perfectly understand and knew about.

But here comes the BUT:
I brought my Expert to an UPS office myself on Thursday, Aug. 9. I still had the boxes from the Pro upgrade. One week later, I checked the tracking details on the UPS website and it stated that it arrived in France and was received by “LHOMER” on Fr. Aug 10. I never received a confirmation email from Devialet about the save arrival at the Devialet Factory which you should receive according to “Judith’s” message.

Should I get nervous now, I asked myself? You want to be sure a device worth well over € 8.000 made it safe and sound to its destination and you would get it back, too.
So I went ahead and replied to “Judith’s” email and a ticket was opened, that was last Friday, Aug. 24.
This morning, Aug. 27, I got this message: “Ralf, Your Expert Pro system has well arrived in our workshops. Our engineers will setup the Core Infinity board within 15 days. Once the functionnal tests are completed, you will receive an email with the tracking number.” A rather short and unfriendly, an almost annoyed response I think and when does their clock start ticking?

What bothers me here is that Devialet doesn’t seem to follow their own process very well. Anyone here who experienced something similar?
I admit that expectations of a quicker turnover than 15 work days were set by the positive feedback here in this forum. The Pro-Upgrade went seamlessly and quicker than announced. I really start missing to listen to my music now.

The other thing is, is it becoming common practice that the customer, not the dealer, has to ship their amp to stay compliant for the next software/firmware version and be able to benefit from the new features? Of course you can always say that this is not a necessity and that even without the latest and greatest hardware and software music will come out of your speakers and you should be glad this is possible.
I am used to buy a piece of hifi equipment once and you are set for the next 10 years and more, and it will sit in your space until you decide to get something new. That’s why I was already looking for alternatives during the rainy weekend. But will it be any different with other brands?

In another post I wrote about McIntosh amps which I auditioned with B&W speakers and I already had one at my home, thanks to my dealer, when my D120 was gone to fix the chrome plating which came off three years ago or so. I have to say I really do like the Mac’s sound, but I am not so sure about their design, especially when you are used to the shiny tiny modern looking Expert. It’s the opposite of subtle, like a V8 muscle car vs. a Lotus Elise or Renault Alpine. Still, the sound!

What’s my conclusion?
I will have to patiently wait for the 220 Pro to come back and I will keep it. For now. But I am also looking into other directions, too. Selling used always comes with a loss and generally I like the concept, the technology and the design Devialet has invented. I just don’t want to be pushed around and forced to miss my music, especially not with a pricey piece of gear like this.

Thanks for reading. Didn’t think it would become this long.

So long,
Ralf
Bauer LS 3.0 - Ortofon 7.8N SPK - Octave RE320 - 220 Pro - DH Labs D-110 - Mutec MC-3+ USB - ROON ROCK NUC - Sbooster MKII - Technics 1200 MK2 w/ Quintet Blue

Messages In This Thread
Invitation to send your PRO to Paris - by Wdw - 14-Sep-2017, 02:56
RE: Invitation to send y - by Hifi_swlon - 17-Apr-2018, 00:21
RE: Invitation to send your PRO to Paris - by G-Vialet - 27-Aug-2018, 22:01