Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Anyone found a way to hang phantom from ceiling?
(03-Oct-2017, 10:27)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(03-Oct-2017, 10:00)Johnnydev Wrote: I think you must be very carefull it is a small thing on the underside!
And What do you think about the warmth inside the phantom? It not designed for hanging upside down

They plonk them on top of a table at hifi shows so I would be surprised if the aluminium inside doesn't do enough to keep them cool. One thing i would do though is if I had them hanging is to put some Loctite on the bolts so they don't rattle loose.

Hi Pim,

Why would they rattle loose? No matter how much bass you'll get out of your Phantom, it won't vibrate at all. Perhaps the Phantom will make the ceiling vibrate Smile
And the pic; Phantoms are in upright position.

[Image: 11cbcbfb6a90d21182c263a9acdc580c.jpg]
Interesting. Makes me wonder. Maybe my advice wasn't the best  Dodgy
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Yes probably upside down is not ideal. But if it is doable it means the tweeters are firing down automatically without the need to have them sloping down on a plate of some kind.

I am sure I can do something the right way up by bastardising a pair of geckos like in the aiport pics. But that is a lot of money just to get the base plate Sad

I asked Devialet and they refuse to sell the base plate on its own - even though I explained why the Gecko is useless for me due to needing to go on a side wall and face 90 degrees forwards.

In the end for now I am going for a heavy duty angle / triangle bracket with a 50cm top section - and a 15 cm round plate welded to the end. SO they will go on the side walls but be facing 90 degrees forwards and still be 25 cm from the side wall (not ideal but the best I can do without ceiling mounting
Cracked it! Gecko base plate - and a clever metal fabricator who came up with a brilliant design Smile

Best bit I can rotate fully 180 degrees so I can listen either side of the open plan partition
Hopefully these pics work!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/155211394@...res/094k8y
(26-Nov-2017, 21:00)Jamington2004 Wrote: Cracked it! Gecko base plate - and a clever metal fabricator who came up with a brilliant design Smile

Best bit I can rotate fully 180 degrees so I can listen either side of the open plan partition
Hopefully these pics work!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/155211394@...res/094k8y

Nice work and an excellent solution! How does the elevated Phantom sound? (Pun intended)
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Cheers yes am very pleased not only as it frees up shelf space - but also because they were very poorly placed for the last 2 years.

Main impact has been that I now have them much further apart so much bigger soundstage, and I can aim the sound better due the angles Smile Not that I find they need much of a sweet spot anyway

But hard to tell completely as I only mounted on one side so far. For sure it is going to reduce bass bloom - and definitely won't have any negative impact that I can imagine

Also I just had to take it down as I was getting too much give at the top - especially when swivelling and changing the weight distribution, which was making the massive coach screws at the top work loose and cause more give / gap

Need to work out how to get them into those ceiling beams tighter than tight!
Fantastic. Thanks for sharing.
(26-Nov-2017, 21:35)Jamington2004 Wrote: Need to work out how to get them into those ceiling beams tighter than tight!

Tech 7 in the screw holes would do the trick if it's wood beams.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Actually - my coach screws weren't manly enough!!

Swapped for m10 100mm - serious beasts!

Just kept on biting till I could tighten no more and now they don't budge one bit Smile Smile