Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stereophile: Phantom Gold Review
(21-Oct-2017, 10:53)ogs Wrote: It is not a very good review, I agree - and there are no measurements. That is very disappointing

As a long-term Stereophile reader, I could have told you, if you expected a gushing review, you would be disappointed. There are other reviewers that would have been much more dismissive. The format is a little odd for Stereophile, not their usually in-depth review format, seems that he stepped into the review sideways. Even the formatting and presentation in the magazine is different than is usual for hardware reviews.
To keep things in perspective, although he doesn't detail associated equipment as reviewers usually do, just the cabling(power cord, interconnects and speaker cables) in the system he comparing the Golds to likely cost at least as much as the Golds.
He is not writing for the general public but the "audiophile community" a fringe community of generally well-heeled listeners who tend to obsess about each piece of hardware and who are mixed at best about computers, DSP, streaming and other forms of "progress' intruding into their listening experience.
Despite picking some nits, I think his conclusion is that the Golds are "a serious value for the right customer." I agree.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Stereophile: Phantom Gold Review - by ogs - 21-Oct-2017, 10:53
RE: Stereophile: Phantom Gold Review - by Marcner - 21-Oct-2017, 20:09
RE: Stereophile: Phantom Gold Review - by ogs - 21-Oct-2017, 21:50
RE: Stereophile: Phantom Gold Review - by ogs - 22-Oct-2017, 13:46