Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And already a SAM related problem...
(08-Nov-2017, 09:02)Devialetuser Wrote: Nothing to worry about here just keep using it with the firmware best suites your particular setup. I hardly use SAM to be honest, and if you speakers are B&W (a company renowned to make worlds finest speakers) I doubt it would help much. Much rather listen to B&W speakers without any DSP, just like the designer of those speakers intended them to be. Enjoy your music and don't worry too much about a functionality that is not serving its purpose.

After hearing SAM, it does a lot of things right. It's not just the bass that is improved, but there's a lot more energy in the lower midrange and upper midbass region. An attribute that I seek in an audio system. So it would be nice to be able to use it without noise issues.

As for firmware 7.1.3, I like it. I can see why so many people prefer and call it most analog like. I may just end up using it with SAM1. I'll have to do a few more back and forth auditions.

(08-Nov-2017, 09:33)ogs Wrote: I've had the thumping noise in my own system on both SAM1 and SAM2. It is related to deep bass content (below 30Hz or even 20Hz) I recently got my speakers measured for SAM and still had the noise on certain tracks after I enabled the new SAM profile (SAM is always at 100%). It was worse when I played loud(ish). I use room correction so I had to adjust the target curve EQ in the deep bass to get rid of the problem.
I am not suggesting you use the rumble filter on a permanent basis, just temporary until the issue is solved. You need to report this to Devialet so they can look at it and find a fix. I actually mentioned the thumping to Maxime Dumont when he did the SAM measurements on my speaker. He said that it shouldn't be like this. He also told me that SAM does high pass filtering to avoid too much low frequency content passing through SAM.

If I turn the volume lower, thumping goes away. But I like to listen to at least moderate to somewhat loud levels. With SAM2 the low bass is very exaggerated, it's the Devialet's limiters that engage to stop woofer excursion. And this engagement causes a "thud" like sound. It's somewhat hidden when playing digital as it happens during the louder bass heavy passages, but it's audible nevertheless.

During vinyl playback it's audible even between songs if the volume is up fairly high as the woofers without subsonic filter are constantly moving.

I'll send Devialet an email and see what they say. If I get a response, I'll post it here.

Messages In This Thread
RE: And already a SAM related problem... - by invictus005 - 08-Nov-2017, 10:03