Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And already a SAM related problem...
OK - Comment about vinyl duly noted.

Regarding SAM 1 having a low pass filter, it is interesting to me that ogs mentions being told SAM having a low pass filter, your observations certainly back this up, whereas my experience tells me that SAM 1 did not have a low pass filter. The reason I think (or thought) SAM 1 does not have a low pass filter is that I can recall using an external phono stage with SAM 1 and getting very obvious low frequency high extension woofer movement. However, when increasing the volume, this low frequency high excursion woofer flopping would stop dead, leaving the normal smaller woofer movement you would expect. So in conclusion, I would say that there is some kind of low frequency filter but one that is dependant on volume (or maybe calculated movement), so not a straight forward filter, but a subsonic filter of sorts, yes.

One point to note here, you can select a subsonic filter in the configurator, and also switch the subsonic filter off via the remote, but I am thinking this general filter setting is different to whatever subsonic filtering that may come as part of the SAM processing.

Regarding your SAM 2 observations, this does look odd. I am speculating to a degree here but I do have a theory as to what might be going on here. I had an original SAM profile, when this was migrated to SAM 2 it was pretty much unusable, certainly when set to 100% SAM. The main issue was that SAM appeared to be grossly exaggerating the very lowest bass, it did sound strange. It was better when set to a lower SAM %, but not completely right at anything over 0% SAM. So here is a degree of speculation, lets say there is a similar issue with the migration of your SAM profile to SAM 2, then you too would have grossly exaggerated lowest frequency bass with SAM 2, which could reasonably manifest itself as your limiter engaging 'thud'. As I say, speculation, maybe your issue is something a little different.

I think you will gain a better insight into this once you have your remote and can experiment with the SAM % a bit. However, I am beginning to think that what you are experiencing here is not right at all. I would say you have good reason to go back to Devialet and ask them to double check the SAM 2 profile for your speakers, there is a decent chance that there is something wrong with it that they can fix. Meanwhile, I would try and enjoy your new system as much as possible, maybe keep SAM off for now. Believe me, I know how frustrating this kind of issue can be, I wish you the best of luck getting it satisfactorily sorted out.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: And already a SAM related problem... - by Confused - 08-Nov-2017, 22:14