Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going active with a 2 way speaker (Naim SBL's)
(12-Dec-2017, 04:21)Axel Wrote:
(11-Dec-2017, 22:37)Soniclife Wrote: I believe there is a check sum that will prevent you manually editing the file. You could test with what you have now.

Correct. The configurations are protected by a CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check), a complex algorithm that generates a code from the config file. Change just one parameter and the CRC will  spot it and prevent it from loading. AFAIK the CRC is unhackable

There are several common choices of algorithm for 16-bit CRC which IIRC is what's in the config file, so with a little time and experimentation it might not be too hard to work out which of those Devialet are using.  Unless they've invented their own, of course.  The other slight complication in practice is knowing exactly what parts of the file are protected by the CRC - including or excluding white space and line endings, for example.

So I would guess it's probably not unhackable.  Whether the benefits of hacking it - being able to change the config file arbitrarily - are worth the risk of doing some harm, I'm not so sure.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK

Messages In This Thread
RE: Going active with a 2 way speaker (Naim SBL's) - by thumb5 - 12-Dec-2017, 09:39