Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Core Infinity listening impressions and comparisons
Hi guys just spent the afternoon with Rufus comparing Roon/AIR to my Totaldac d1 server (which is also Roon Ready) feeding my Od'A.

The test track was "Ricky the Lobster" on Mo' Blow's "Live in Berlin". Amazing album by the way. German Jazz funk played live in a club. Wonderful recording with exceptional musicians all interacting and feeding off one another and the audience cheering them on. Bass, drums, electric piano and saxophone. You literally feel as though you are there, almost front seat stuff! Come to think about it standing is far more likely, with a bottle of beer in one hand of course!  Tongue

This was the first time Rufus had heard Roon/Air with the new CI board so I was keen to get his impressions.

Anyway due to how things were set up we started with the Totaldac feeding my Od'A. Rufus seemed very impressed and clearly liked what he was hearing. Like I said it's brilliant live music.

Then we switched to Roon/Air, which only took me a few seconds literally pulling the ethernet cable out of the d1 server and connecting it to the master, then changing input and then adjusting the volume so that it stayed the same. Roon seemed to behave itself with these changes which was nice. 

Instantly there was a change in the presentation but it took a while to sink in. We finished the track then went back to the Totaldac and repeated the process.

Then we started discussing what we were hearing. I think it's fair to say we were experiencing similar things. The Totaldac was clearly better offering a much more engaging experience with instruments sounding more natural (less forced?) and the music being easier to follow particularly in busy moments. I particularly focussed on the piano. With Roon/Air it seemed to stab at me with the attack dominating, at times a little strident. The Totaldac seemed to offer more sustain and release, it was a more textured and musical sound. And quite a bit easier to follow, particularly when the other musicians were joining in. Basically more enjoyable. I seem to recall Rufus saying that he felt there was more air around instruments.

I'll let Rufus interject if he fancies it though. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK

Messages In This Thread
RE: Core Infinity listening impressions and comparisons - by GuillaumeB - 05-Jan-2018, 19:13