Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
220 pro - first hours and disappointed
tavares,

I know the audio analogue sound a bit, and it is quite 'soft' compared to many amps, not just the Devialet.  I'm not saying that is a bad thing, but that is not the style of reproduction you will likely get from Devialet. I can't tell if your last amp was the AA or the D200 Pro.... It may be that the Devialet sound is not for you; it is not for everybody, but I don't' think that it lacks 'warmth' and 'richness' in any way.

But I will say that, in my experience, the Devialet amp is very likely to change in character with 60 hours of play time. Seriously. I don't know why that should be the case but my D120 changed, as did my 220 Pro, after the upgrade. The difference was noticeable in the mids and upper frequencies.  A bit of a metallic 'sheen', as I described it, disappeared with some break in. I wasn't a believer or denier, and had never experienced it before, but I did notice it with the Devialet amps.

If you have the time, do what @Confused and @Pim suggest. Esp the listening without thinking about it too much part; that is a very good bit of advice, and one many audio folks need to be reminded of. I say that in part because sometimes I am most impressed when I hear something new, or become aware of a sound in a new way, and it happens when I'm doing other things, rather than concentrating on the music or analyzing the sound of the reproduction.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada

Messages In This Thread
RE: 220 pro - first hours and disappointed - by Damon - 25-Dec-2017, 01:02