Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon subscription coming to an end.
(06-Jan-2018, 14:37)f1eng Wrote: Well I quite agree about paying for software. I have tried loads which i have paid for, Amarra and Audirvana for example. Generally hardware is useless without good software.
Nevertheless I don't think Roon is worth its cost for me, I will stick with Audirvana and Qobuz.

Same here. With the new CI Audirvana is working quite well via UPnP, with both systems - my 220Pro and my Phantoms.

I have no problems and TIDAL and Qobuz a very good integrated in Audirvana. It is easy to switch between the streaming services and the systems, metadata are quite good, nearly the same as with ROON.

I see no real advantage for ROON - UPnP is not possible so I have to use a ROON endpoint to control my Phantoms.

Perhaps I will use an Innuos in the future but without ROON.
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
(05-Jan-2018, 18:51)Music or sound Wrote:
(05-Jan-2018, 18:09)f1eng Wrote: I have had a Roon trial and it is running out.
My inclination is not to continue.
I don't use Tidal so is there anything else I may have missed which makes Roon a must-have?
Same for me, Roon was supplying pretty good background information for some rock but quite lacking in less mainstream music. I listen a lot to pre classical music and contemporary (classical) music and there is not much. That is also the reason I am not interested in Tidal.
Also I am not using any device which benefits of Rock.

Roon gave info on about 10% of the artists in my collection, which is mostly electronic music.
I deinstalled it the same day. Beautiful and handy though if most of your collection is in their database I suppose.
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
I like the stability of Roon into my Dev 400, and intend to go down the NUC / ROCK OS route. One of the reasons I want to keep Roon is the MQA titles- they sound good to me. Will there be more? That is the question....
Kind regards,
David.
Shy
Currently: MacMini with Tidal, Qobuz Roon via RAAT / Cat7 Ethernet cable / Devialet 1000 Expert Pro CI (the BIG dogs!)/ Analysis Plus Oval 9 cable / Hyperion Audio 968 / Cheap cable to homemade, 12 inch powered subwoofers.
(05-Jan-2018, 18:09)f1eng Wrote: I have had a Roon trial and it is running out.
My inclination is not to continue.
I don't use Tidal so is there anything else I may have missed which makes Roon a must-have?

Just my 2 cents: With Roon I like the integrated DSP options. I regularly use convolution with filters that control my room resonances. The reviews and texts provided for the more recent and 'mainstream' music are an interesting read, but most of my preferred music is not covered. I don't care about this lack.

Let me say that I have no extended experience with other players except iTunes and PureMusic.
(09-Jan-2018, 00:37)ICUDoc Wrote: I like the stability of Roon into my Dev 400, and intend to go down the NUC / ROCK OS route. One of the reasons I want to keep Roon is the MQA titles- they sound good to me. Will there be more? That is the question....

I went from a Mac Mini and at one point a NUC running Windows 10 Pro, to NUC/ROCK. very happy, Incredibly stable, never need to attach a monitor/keyboard after initial setup. No application required to log in to the machine and shut it down, I just use a web browser to turn it off. No unintended OS updates, etc.. Just incredible reliable since the day I got it. Plus tiny and it is in an out of the way spot.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(11-Jan-2018, 03:38)baddog Wrote:
(09-Jan-2018, 00:37)ICUDoc Wrote: I like the stability of Roon into my Dev 400, and intend to go down the NUC / ROCK OS route. One of the reasons I want to keep Roon is the MQA titles- they sound good to me. Will there be more? That is the question....

I went from a Mac Mini and at one point a NUC running Windows 10 Pro, to NUC/ROCK. very happy, Incredibly stable, never need to attach a monitor/keyboard after initial setup. No application required to log in to the machine and shut it down, I just use a web browser to turn it off. No unintended OS updates, etc.. Just incredible reliable since the day I got it. Plus tiny and it is in an out of the way spot.

I can concur with @baddog re use of NUC/ROCK. I went from running Roon on my Windows 10 PC over to a NUC based system, and have been more than pleased - for one thing there is no conflict between running consecutive programmes and the PC does not have to be on to run ROCK/NUC. I will hold off on making comment on reliability - that's too much like tempting fate - but todate it has been faultless.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
I must be the only 'Roon Lifer' that does not actually like Roon that much! This may seam odd, but I am much happier using JRiver or iTunes than I am using Roon.

That is only part of the story though, I am now a huge fan of HQPlayer, or at least the sound quality potential of HQPlayer. So in terms of the sound quality I want, HQPlayer delivers. In terms of functionality and usability, HQPlayer is hopeless. So the key reason I like Roon is because it can act as a 'front end' to drive files into HQPlayer. It may seam complicated using a PC running Roon to feed HQPlayer, then Ethernet to a microRendu, but for me it works flawlessly, totally stable, no dropouts, clicks or anything else. It works superbly and sounds great.

As for me not liking Roon itself, this is a personal thing, mainly due to the fact that I am addicted to track ratings, and Roon does not do individual track ratings. The good news is that Roon can read iTunes playlists, and track ratings can be turned into 'tags' inside Roon. This is not quite the same thing as having my precious track ratings, but given the perfect stability and superb sound quality of Roon / HQPlayer I am a very happy customer. Plus, Roon is still being developed and is getting better all the time. I much prefer the functionality of Roon as it is at the start of 2018 versus Roon one year ago, maybe one day I will grow to love it.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(11-Jan-2018, 15:01)Confused Wrote: I must be the only 'Roon Lifer' that does not actually like Roon that much!  This may seam odd, but I am much happier using JRiver or iTunes than I am using Roon.  

That is only part of the story though, I am now a huge fan of HQPlayer, or at least the sound quality potential of HQPlayer.  So in terms of the sound quality, I want, HQPlayer delivers.  In terms of functionality and usability, HQPlayer is hopeless.  So the key reason I like Roon is because it can act as a 'front end' to drive files into HQPlayer.  It may seam complicated using a PC running Roon to feed HQPlayer, then Ethernet to a microRendu, but for me it works flawlessly, totally stable, no dropouts, clicks or anything else.  It works superbly and sounds great.

As for me not liking Roon itself, this is a personal thing, mainly due to the fact that I am addicted to track ratings, and Roon does not do individual track ratings.  The good news is that Roon can read iTunes playlists, and track ratings can be turned into 'tags' inside Roon.  This is not quite the same thing as having my precious track ratings, but given the perfect stability and superb sound quality of Roon / HQPlayer I am a very happy customer.  Plus, Roon is still being developed and is getting better all the time.  I much prefer the functionality of Roon as it is at the start of 2018 versus Roon one year ago, maybe one day I will grow to love it.

An interesting take on things. So are you firmly of the opinion that HQP plus microRendu offers a better SQ than anything provided by AIR in its various guises?  I would love to try HQP but I don’t want another network interface, and Roon AIR has been rock solid so far (no CI yet). For me, the transparency with which Roon combines library, Tidal and internet radio sources makes it a winner, especially given the way it handles both my Devialet and also my Sonos components.
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
I totally agree with @Confused that HQPlayer sounds really really good.

It would be fantastic if the Core Infinity board would support HQPlayer NAA or if we could stream directly from HQPlayer to Devialet using AIR. The latter unfortunately doesn't work reliably at the moment, due to bugs in AIR driver on Windows 10. I got a reply Devialet support on August 2017 that Devialet's R&D has identified this bug and they are working on a solution...
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(11-Jan-2018, 15:13)Zappydev Wrote:
(11-Jan-2018, 15:01)Confused Wrote: I must be the only 'Roon Lifer' that does not actually like Roon that much!  This may seam odd, but I am much happier using JRiver or iTunes than I am using Roon.  

That is only part of the story though, I am now a huge fan of HQPlayer, or at least the sound quality potential of HQPlayer.  So in terms of the sound quality, I want, HQPlayer delivers.  In terms of functionality and usability, HQPlayer is hopeless.  So the key reason I like Roon is because it can act as a 'front end' to drive files into HQPlayer.  It may seam complicated using a PC running Roon to feed HQPlayer, then Ethernet to a microRendu, but for me it works flawlessly, totally stable, no dropouts, clicks or anything else.  It works superbly and sounds great.

As for me not liking Roon itself, this is a personal thing, mainly due to the fact that I am addicted to track ratings, and Roon does not do individual track ratings.  The good news is that Roon can read iTunes playlists, and track ratings can be turned into 'tags' inside Roon.  This is not quite the same thing as having my precious track ratings, but given the perfect stability and superb sound quality of Roon / HQPlayer I am a very happy customer.  Plus, Roon is still being developed and is getting better all the time.  I much prefer the functionality of Roon as it is at the start of 2018 versus Roon one year ago, maybe one day I will grow to love it.

An interesting take on things. So are you firmly of the opinion that HQP plus microRendu offers a better SQ than anything provided by AIR in its various guises?  I would love to try HQP but I don’t want another network interface, and Roon AIR has been rock solid so far (no CI yet). For me, the transparency with which Roon combines library, Tidal and internet radio sources makes it a winner, especially given the way it handles both my Devialet and also my Sonos components.

I am firmly of the opinion that HQP plus microRendu plus Mutec MC3+USB  offers a better SQ than anything provided by AIR in its various guises, at the moment at least. Without the Mutec, my preference would be for Roon AIR.  My little 1000Pro will be going back to France next week for it's CI board fitment.  When I get it back I plan to try some CI Board versus mR/Mutec comparisons.  I shall keep an open mind on this topic until I have heard the CI Board for myself.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12