Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantoms Powered up 24/7 Or Not?
my 3 different revisions have different power consumption profiles, older runs hotter = more power consumption at idle. I kept a pair of ~2015 Silver Phantoms (older hotter) on 7x24 other than the occasional re-configuration, trip away etc for the better part of 8 years with no problems. One was replaced with a 2017 unit but only due to firmware upgrade issue. its better than 2015. (i've not compared the 2017 silver and 2019 gold with each other but the 2017 model runs much cooler than the 2015 like the 2019) the past year put the older pair of silvers on a remote switch to turn them on and off, along with the network gear and some other stuff that servs that room. it all together runs pretty hot just sitting around and really not used as much so decided to switch them off when not needed. for no specific or particular reason other than i had this remote switch thing to try out. in theory leaving them off would extend the life, but then , also if you don't leave your house probably not likely to get hit by a bus. I use the dialog and arch on a different circuit all over the network(wired) the dialog burns coal like mad 7x24 - i still like the optical on the dialog so it gets more use in practice vs the arch which is better than the dialog in every way other than it does not have optical.... 2019 golds mostly get left on 7x24, let it do its power management thing. more current revision use less (at idle). to me the most important question / aspect is what is your use case? if they might need to be used many times a day who knows when leave them on... unless you really like to start every listening encounter playing a fiddle session. meaning you like making sure you power everything up in just the right way. or do it so much you can just fix that one thing that needs and extra kick.. if you rarely use them or use them "off grid" (or a boat, or a van, or cave) then you might consider how much its worth to keep them on when not filling your ears. FWIW. happy listening! scott-

Messages In This Thread
Phantoms Powered up 24/7 Or Not? - by kmjy - 10-Feb-2018, 21:01
RE: Phantoms Powered up 24/7 Or Not? - by KenH - 26-Feb-2018, 11:53
RE: Phantoms Powered up 24/7 Or Not? - by KenH - 26-Feb-2018, 11:45
RE: Phantoms Powered up 24/7 Or Not? - by scotthar - 15-Jun-2023, 09:23