Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB Pops and Clicks with D440 Pro
Mysetup is as follows:

Melco N1A—-> SOtM 200 Ultra —- > Devialet 440 Pro —-> Sonus Faber Olympica I 

(Audioquest Diamond Ethernet, and Audioquest Diamond USB)

As the current setup stands it is impossible to listen to any USB music without Pops and Clicks. I am using the latest Beta firmware release on the D440 Pro. The problem started since I got the core infinity upgrade, before that everything was working fine. If others are having similar issues please kindly add your voice to this thread. I am trying to find out if this issues is a compatibility issue with SOtM and the new Devialet CI board, or is this a wider problem.

Thanks in advance.
SOtM sMS-200-Ultra, SOtM sPS-500, Melco N1A, Rega RP8 (Exact 2), Core Infinity D440 Pro (2 x D220 Pro), Audioquest Diamond Ethernet, USB, Audioquest Castle Rock,  Sonus Faber Olympica I.
Can you try connecting your Melco rather than SOtM to the Devialet and see if the result is the same? That would at least narrow done the list of potential culprits. Apologies I don't know enough about the Melco to know if that is possible, though it looks like it is.

What software are you using the control music playback?
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(03-Mar-2018, 20:53)baddog Wrote: Can you try connecting your Melco rather than SOtM to the Devialet and see if the result is the same? That would at least narrow done the list of potential culprits. Apologies I don't know enough about the Melco to know if that is possible, though it looks like it is.

What software are you using the control music playback?

I have done exactly the above and it resulted in a significant reduction in pops and clicks (once or twice during a song), as compared to every 5-10 sec with the SOtM. However the sound quality suffered greatly using the Melco USB connection as compared to the SOtM. Using Linn Kazoo as the control point.
SOtM sMS-200-Ultra, SOtM sPS-500, Melco N1A, Rega RP8 (Exact 2), Core Infinity D440 Pro (2 x D220 Pro), Audioquest Diamond Ethernet, USB, Audioquest Castle Rock,  Sonus Faber Olympica I.
Ok, so which software are you using for music playback? Any chance you can take the Melco out of the loop and try using the SOtM only?
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(03-Mar-2018, 21:03)baddog Wrote: Ok, so which software are you using for music playback? Any chance you can take the Melco out of the loop and try using the SOtM only?

I have tried using the SOtM with a USB drive taking the Melco out of the chain. Unfortunately that did not resolve the issue. Currently using Linn Kazoo as a control point software.
(03-Mar-2018, 21:11)JimSmith Wrote:
(03-Mar-2018, 21:03)baddog Wrote: Ok, so which software are you using for music playback? Any chance you can take the Melco out of the loop and try using the SOtM only?

I have tried using the SOtM with a USB drive taking the Melco out of the chain. Unfortunately that did not resolve the issue. Currently using Linn Kazoo as a control point software.

@Jim,
Have you tried any different firmware versions to see if it stops the problem?
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(03-Mar-2018, 20:30)JimSmith Wrote: As the current setup stands it is impossible to listen to any USB music without Pops and Clicks. I am using the latest Beta firmware release on the D440 Pro. The problem started since I got the core infinity upgrade, before that everything was working fine.

I have read that some others having similar issues with the Core Infinity board. Therefore I think it's just a bug.

Please report this bug directly to Devialet.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
@JimSmith Any chance you could try a USB to AES converter (or SPDIF)? As this seem USB related and the USB input is on the CI, it is possibly buggy. The 'old' inputs on the Devialet amplifier should basically be unaffected. Even an Allo DigiOne Player could do the trick, but then I guess you'd have to install Roon for the test. I realise you may not want to do that.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Hi, my setup:
Router FritzBox 6590
AQ Diamond RJ / E
LAN filter EMO 1005+
AQ Diamond RJ / E
Melco LAN input
Melco USB
AQ Coffee
ifi purifier 2
AQ Coffee
Devialet / FW 12.1.2
SQ very good, no problems with dropouts etc.
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
Thanks everyone who commented thus far. The problem would be easy to fix by spending another £900 and get something like the Mutec MC-3+USB. Frankly at this point in time I have come to the conclusion that this is a USB bug that Devialet has to fix on their end. The problems has been reported to Devialet and they are aware of the issue, owners of Auralic Aires, and Aurender have reported the same issue when using USB audio. My intention of creating this thread is not to find a resolution for myself, but rather to understand how widespread the issue is with USB audio. I doubt everyone in this community is using a laptop as a front end for USB audio.