Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet switch makes a difference?
Has anyone tried different Ethernet switches between the router and Dialog?
Do you think they do make a difference to the streamed quality of sound?
I have read about the AQ Vox 8 port switch and it seems to be recommended by Devialet owners but not sure if they are Phantom owners.
It does seem an extraordinary price for a tweaked switch box but if we are trying to wring the most out of our system, then maybe worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(04-Mar-2018, 15:39)steve_denney Wrote: Has anyone tried different Ethernet switches between the router and Dialog?
I have read about the AQ Vox 8 port switch and it seems to be recommended by Devialet owners but not sure if they are Phantom owners.
It does seem an extraordinary price for a tweaked switch box but if we are trying to wring the most out of our system, then maybe worth it?

I'm using the cheapest switch I could find and can't hear any difference in sound quality. Use the cash saved on acoustic treatment of your listening room instead. That's a tweak that actually works.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
The audio files will be cached faster but don't expect a better audio quality or rendering.
Files are digital and they are sent straight to the decoder.
Ethernet or PLC can help when you have stuttering or audio dropouts due to slow caching because of a weak Wifi signal.
Ok cheers. My setup is ether cable from router to a BT 5 way switch then ether cable to the Dialog.
I don’t suffer from dropouts the connection is stable. I assume that I wouldn’t notice any difference in sound or stability so would be wasting money on getting another switch box. The BT box is doing fine!

(04-Mar-2018, 15:51)ragwo Wrote:
(04-Mar-2018, 15:39)steve_denney Wrote: Has anyone tried different Ethernet switches between the router and Dialog?

I'm using the cheapest switch I could find and can't hear any difference in sound quality. Use the cash saved on acoustic treatment of your listening room instead. That's a tweak that actually works.

I'm using the AQ 8 port switch as I got it a bit cheaper. All three, the stereo set of Golds and the Dialog go through the switch. Can't compare but neither can I complain. And yes, I wouldn't buy it for the full price.
http://www.klinktbeter.be/index.php/spec...end-switch
Really interesting article, thanks for that
[size=x-small]Phantom Golds, Yamaha WXC 50
Yes really interesting. This suggests that noise is a contributory factor to the sound quality. There might be something in the AQ 8 idea but seeing as they don’t seem to have a concern over their simple mains plug it would suggest they have spent too much effort in the wrong area.
Maybe a better quality metal switch with a replaceable mains is the way to go?

It was an interesting article, though after talking about the difference between managed vs unmanaged switches, I was hoping for something on how one might be better than the other. The main emphasis seemed to be on power supplies.
I use a d-link dgs108 with a Sbooster botw liniar Power supply and it improve the SQ
The SQ improved also with the cheaper ifi iPower.

But what improves the SQ more, is using liniar Power supplies on your cable modem and (If you have) the router.

In my case the sq improve very well (the biggest upgrade in years) and you have also a bonus on the tv picture quality.

The biggest improve with the liniar Power supplies was on my Cisco cable modem, second on my netgear nighthawk router and the smallest SQ improve is in my case the switch, but noticeable

I use now on all that divices the sBooster botw. The ifi iPower is much cheaper and gives also a better SQ

I could say, give it a try, and send them back if you get no improve on the SQ