Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to improve Jitter issue via USB/ETHERNET ?
(02-Apr-2018, 16:27)thumb5 Wrote: You're welcome to your opinion, of course, but given that there are strong and easily-understood reasons why clock/inter-sample jitter should not be the cause of sound quality differences between USB cables, the onus is on you to explain how you "know" it's jitter in some objective way.  For example, what experiments have you done to measure jitter (whatever you take that to mean in this context) and correlate it with the sound differences?  Can you for example rank a number of USB cables in terms of increasing "jitter" in such a way that someone else could independently measure the same results?  How exactly do you propose to measure this "jitter", even in principle?  If you can't answer those questions, I'd argue you're not really talking about jitter, which is a well-defined, objective, engineering term - rather you're just saying which cable you think sounds best and arbitrarily attaching the word "jitter" to it with no real justification.

Just to be perfectly clear, I'm not arguing that you (personally) can't hear differences between cables - that's entirely up to you.

No, I've not made measurements of any USB cable. I have listened to many and compared them. I also listened to many AES/EBU cables and SPDIF in my business. For me all this startet 30y ago at first mainly in the analogue realm. Variations in sound with analogue cables are completely different compared to digital cables. You get used to these differences over the years. What I actually mean...you hear it. Yes, you can hear the sound texture of more or less jitter in an audio system and in cables. I know this proofs nothing to others espacially not to the measurement party.
If it helps...I don't want to tie it down on this jitter issue. Maybe there's something else in the game. But no doubt there is something and it is objective.
I just want to share my experiences and help others to trust in what they're experiencing with this stuff. You don't make this up and you're not fooling yourself. It's there.

@thumb5
Have you ever made an AB (ABX) of several different USB cables or any other cables. Was it with a high resolving/transparent system or just a MAC book USB to any DAC comparison.
What's your conclusion. I'd like to have a statement of yours based on experience not only a measurement argument and textbook justification. If you heard differences what do you think is the cause (other than psychoacoustic/expectation bias...please)?
Or did you never hear any difference in cable ABs?

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin

Messages In This Thread
RE: Devialet has NO Jitter issue via USB/ETHERNET ? - by yabaVR - 02-Apr-2018, 21:17