Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power tweaking question
(25-Nov-2014, 04:56)amabrok Wrote: Thanks thumb5

But I'm not sure I understand Smile

So you would go for a better power cord instead of investing in power conditioners or regenerator? Or you would do both?

I guess my question is do they technically have the same function or do they serve different purposes?

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be obtuse but I obviously didn't say anything useful. Let me try to be less wishy-washy...

I can understand roughly how a power regenerator works technically and it definitely has a measurable effect on mains quality (distortion, stability, etc.). But equally you'd think that the design of the Devialet power supply (along with other well-engineered components) should make it relatively immune to mains quality. So for me the jury is still out on "how" it works, really.

In the case of cables, I honestly can't understand how a mains cable can affect the sound quality.

Nevertheless I have tried both regenerators and expensive(ish) mains cables and heard sound quality differences.

My experience with the regenerator -- a PS Audio Power Plant Premier -- was not with the Devialet but was mixed: I found it made a positive change when I installed it, but then when I took it out after several months as an experiment, I preferred the sound without it.

I've tried several different power cables with my 200, and heard differences between them. I'm currently using a Vertex AQ Silver Roraima, which wasn't chosen particularly scientifically - it was to hand because I used it with my previous amplifier. To me this sounds better than the standard power cord but I don't know why that should be.

If you enjoy tuning and tweaking, you'll want to try both a power conditioner/regenerator and power cables, I think.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK

Messages In This Thread
Power tweaking question - by amabrok - 24-Nov-2014, 21:02
RE: Power tweaking question - by thumb5 - 24-Nov-2014, 21:39
Re: RE: Power tweaking question - by amabrok - 25-Nov-2014, 04:56
RE: Power tweaking question - by thumb5 - 25-Nov-2014, 11:56
RE: Power tweaking question - by Mikeeo - 25-Nov-2014, 11:57
RE: Power tweaking question - by GuillaumeB - 25-Nov-2014, 12:10
Power tweaking question - by amabrok - 25-Nov-2014, 12:17