Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation
(10-Aug-2018, 13:04)thumb5 Wrote: @Confused From what I've picked up, from (e.g.) John Swenson's posts, the point of reducing clock phase noise is mainly to do with  its effects on the PHY devices, which might (it is supposed) inject analog noise into the DAC (e.g. via power/ground planes).  As you say, it should not have any effect on the timing of samples reaching the DAC because they are clocked out of a ton of buffer memory by a clock that is completely asychronous to the Ethernet.

To add to this, I understand that the concept is that the switch has a "clean" side and a "dirty" side, so I presume that the low phase noise clock is the one doing the work on the clean side. 

So, this all makes perfect sense.  That said, I do not believe anyone has ever measured analogue noise generated by phase noise on PTY devices, let alone established exactly what this does to the DAC.  Plus, the DAC is supposedly isolated from noise, most audio grade Ethernet inputs have galvanic isolation and other means to block noise, so even if the noise exists there are ways to mitigate the damage it might do.  So I feel like these things are being designed on an informed hunch and unproven theory, and maybe a some subjective listening tests and similar.  It would be so much nicer the design was based on proper measurements, testing and demonstrable benefits.

If the Uptone switch does come in at $500 though, I will probably buy one to try.  A case of blind faith driven by a genuine curiosity.  Or maybe curiosity killed the cat, then moved onto liberating my wallet of another few quid....
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - by Confused - 10-Aug-2018, 17:28