Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation
(25-May-2019, 08:36)Pim Wrote:
(25-May-2019, 08:09)baconbrain Wrote:
(23-May-2019, 17:14)K4680 Wrote: Hi all, I'm just waiting for someone to report that you hear different sound with different fiber optic!  Big Grin
But then I lose faith in the Hifi God, and then ... Rolleyes

Love the cartoon! Actually, signal deterioration can occur with Fiber, so I would assume that it also would logically have an effect on the SQ, just as it does with something like the video quality of a 4k transmission. (artifacts, etc.) But I am wondering a bit off topic ....  Blush

It's at least 20 years ago when I spent a day at Siemens in Zoetermeer, The Netherlands. The topic of the day was Cat 5 cable and beyond. I can't remember the exact speed but at the time we discussed it was possible to have enough speed in a single fibre optic cable in a laboratory to have about 400.000.000 phone conversations going on at the same time over one cable. At a guess that's probably every phone conversation at any given time on earth. 

Putting that into perspective I'm sure it's quite possible to transport the little bit of data that makes up a song in a cable without any problem. 

The reason Toslink isn't much good is not because it's fibre optic cable but because it's a really bad version of fibre optic cable. I wouldn't be surprised if fibre optic done properly will be the next high end digital audio interface.

Hello Pim, which I suspect are probably the translators. From Fiber to LAN and back again. What is undisputed, the more media breaks take place, the more errors occur. I'll tell you the quality of the fiber is not to be underestimated. You already get 1 m for 5€ or in the professional area (super polished ends) for 45 €! But is only from large lengths (Km) and large amounts of data authoritative! It remains exciting ... Big Grin
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - by K4680 - 25-May-2019, 12:57