Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation
(06-Jun-2019, 07:10)Johnnydev Wrote: Any news GuillaumeB or someone els?

Well indeed!  Smile

I was very happy with the single SOtM switch, essentially replacing the AQVOX. As I think I reported previously this was an instant improvement. 

Then 10 days or so ago the second switch arrived. I connected this to the other SOtM using an ethernet cable. Very happy with the result, basically more of the same.

Once I had received the correct transceivers (long story) I was able to try connecting the two SOtM units via fibre. This also had quite a big effect but one that I didn't really like. Switching back to an ethernet connection between the two units confirmed my impressions. I could hear that the optical connection did some good things (soundstage even deeper, noise floor even lower) but I didn't really enjoy the music. Perhaps the transceivers needed more time to settle? I have no idea.

I then installed a bridge between my router and office switch (which feeds my SOtM), using the same transceivers and some media converters from FS.com (https://www.fs.com/uk/products/35333.html). 

Now this was REALLY interesting, it made a massive difference! To the point where my brain is almost struggling to make sense of things. I know it's better - in "hi-fi" terms - but there is some kind of cognitive dissonance going on. I am gradually coming round to the idea that perhaps I just need a bit of time to get used to things. It's like the presentation of music has changed quite a bit and I can't quite work out whether I like it or not. There are some good moments, then moments where I am not so sure. 

So over the next few days I will try removing things to understand what is going on and work out which combinations I prefer. 

And I have just heard that the Gold M12 is being sent to me tomorrow, so that should arrive next week.  Smile

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - by GuillaumeB - 06-Jun-2019, 10:46