Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation
(06-Dec-2019, 00:14)David A Wrote:
(05-Dec-2019, 23:19)baconbrain Wrote: Wow, after reading the ASR review of the ER and the heated debate on the AS site, these discussions have really got me thinking about my personal perceptions when listening to audio gear ...  Huh
Why has that got you thinking?

Thanks David A, a well written response.

Personally, I have always tried to base audio purchasing decisions on MY personal subjective perception of the SQ contribution to MY system verses cost. The ideal method for me to really verify that decision has been to audition the component in my listening room prior to purchase . That method is possible in perhaps 50% of the use cases where the component can be procured locally and does not incur extensive additional costs for shipping/duties, etc. For the other 50%, I rely on manufacture specifications, official reviews (ideally with test data), and opinions of other trusted sources (like users, such as yourself, in this forum)

So, what does all of my blabbering have to do with this thread? Case in point was my decision to purchase a fully modified SoTM switch which I did not really audition up-front because it was just not locally available. Needless to say the investment was not insignificant and a bit outside of my comfort zone, but I decided (based mainly on SoTM marketing information and various forum user perceptions) to take the plunge.

In view of the discussions around the ER and the lack of quantifiable data supporting the benefit of such component(s), I ask myself if I am truly hearing an improvement with the SoTM Switch or just wanting to hear one ....
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - by baconbrain - 06-Dec-2019, 09:22