Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation
@David A It seems that you are being inconsistent and arguably somewhat disingenuous in dismissing the ASR review as "pseudoscience" while not applying similar tests to the claims made by UpTone.  Forgive me if you've already dismissed them on this forum, in which case I missed it.

To use your analogy: UpTone claim (1) that there are (evil) unicorns, and (2) that they have a unicorn-slayer.  They have neither demonstrated the existence of unicorns, their evil nature, nor their successful slaying.  In the words of the old joke, the ER is yellow paint for the elephants' feet.

Joking aside, the ASR review did measure exactly the things (viz. jitter and noise) which UpTone claims the ER is meant to remove, and in two different cases objectively determined that jitter and noise were below extremely low thresholds whether the ER was present or a standard "non-audiophile" switch.  Agreed, that does not prove that unicorns don't exist, but it is (at least one step towards) evidence that if they do exist they are rare enough to make no observable difference.  From any pragmatic point of view that's the same thing.  Do you live your life concerned about the possibility of meeting a unicorn, since it has not been proved that they don't exist?

None of that matters to anyone who would like to try an ER and see whether they hear differences in their system, of course.  I might try one myself, who knows.  But if we're going to have a discussion about the philosophy or standard of science let's apply it equally to both sides of the discussion.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - by thumb5 - 06-Dec-2019, 09:49