Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation
(07-Dec-2019, 13:17)thumb5 Wrote: Yes, that is a bit of a worry for any "boutique" device.  Someone on another forum which shall remain nameless pointed out that the high temperatures were likely due to use of linear regulators to drop from the ~7V DC input to the 3.3V supply voltage for the digital parts, which seems reasonable.  I wonder whether it could be run from a lower DC input, maybe 6V, or whether the regulators would drop out?

As we really dont know what exactly goes on inside and they use a DC/DC converter to feed the B-side regulators that wont produce much heat so much of the heat must come from the A-side components. I have tried feeding mine with both 7V and 12V and the heat is the same. It draws between 7-7.2W regardless of voltage.

(07-Dec-2019, 13:19)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(07-Dec-2019, 12:40)octaviars Wrote: I bought a etherREGEN and not going in to any listening impressions about it my main concern is the heat it produces it is really cooking. I wonder if it will last for long and if it does start to have problems over time (within the warranty) what will/can Uptone do about it?
The manual does say it runs hot, 48-52C and Uptone are confident it will last!

Personally, I do not like electronics running that hot and would look at adding a heat sink and fan.

Yes I know this but heat is still the number one thing that causes electronics to fail and runing 24/7 at this heat well I am not that confident it will last. 

(07-Dec-2019, 13:23)Confused Wrote:
(07-Dec-2019, 12:40)octaviars Wrote: I bought a etherREGEN and not going in to any listening impressions about it my main concern is the heat it produces it is really cooking. I wonder if it will last for long and if it does start to have problems over time (within the warranty) what will/can Uptone do about it?
I recall that Uptone (or was it John Swenson?) recommended installing it vertically, claiming this gave better heat dissipation.  Might be worth a try?

I have it vertically mounted in a fan cooled cabinet and yes the heat goes down a bit last time I checked it with IR it was around 45c it was around 48C laying down.

I still belives this would be better suited in a bigger case with vent holes so air could move around in the box.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - by octaviars - 07-Dec-2019, 13:35