Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation
I don't see the difference between our positions on this point as being as big as you think, though there is definitely a difference. I'll try to explain what I think we have in common and where I think we differ.

I think we would both agree that people don't always use language precisely. We can make a statement about what our experience of something is and/or what be believe about that thing, and we can make a statement that isn't about our experience or beliefs but is specifically about the thing. Sometimes it isn't clear from the statement itself just which of those 2 sorts of statements is being made.

Now, if a listener reports "I hear a difference" or "I don 't hear a difference" both of us are going to interpret that as a statement about the listener's experience a not, in your terms, a universal statement.

And if the listener says something like "I do/don't hear a difference" you have said that you would interpret that as "I personally do/don't hear a difference". I would interpret that statement as meaning that there is or is not a genuine difference unless there is an indication elsewhere in their report that they were referring to their personal experience.

So that's where I think we agree, where I think we disagree, and how I think we disagree when we disagree. Basically, when the statement isn't specifically one thing or the other and it's open to interpretation, we each will usually make a different interpretation. Where is no evidence to support only a single interpretation of the statement we each are reporting that we will make a different interpretation to the other but bear in mind that neither of us in such cases have any evidence to support our particular evidence. If there was anything in the report which would support a specific interpretation of the statement I think both of us would come to the same interpretation.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - by David A - 15-Dec-2019, 03:15