Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation
(15-Dec-2019, 12:57)Confused Wrote:
Anyway, the EtherRegen is now connected and working.  Mindful of the above comments, I thought I would try a truly objective test.  There has been some speculation that the EtherRegen might cure the Devialet Roon Ready issue as it runs 100Base-T.  So initially, I have connected the B side port of the EtherRegen direct to the Devialet's Ethernet port and tried the Roon Ready mode.  For the record, I have tried the Roon Ready mode with two different PC's running Roon, and in both cases I have had issues with both 24/176.4 and 24/192 files, stuttering and the dreaded "an audio file (audiophile?) is loading slowly message.  Well, some interesting news, I have been playing a mixture of 24/176.4 & 24/192 files for about an hour now, zero issues, zero dropouts, zero error messages. 

I wonder if it has improved sound quality?  That is a question for later.

Objective test? More like a "throw it off the top of a high cliff and see if it survives" test.  :-) I haven't had problems with 24/176.4 but I have had them with 24/192 but it has sometimes taken 2 or 3 hours for the problem to show so you may still run into problems with high res content. I wouldn't rush to judgement quite yet but your experience is promising.

That test, however, is one I was going to definitely try when I get mine next month but I'm probably going to leave that test until after I've got a feel for how it works when I stream everything from Roon at the files' native resolution since that's my normal practice. I hoped that would be no issues with 24/192t but I also hope to hear an improvement in sound quality. It's great if its a fit for the Roon Ready problem but if all it does for us is fix the Roon Ready problem it's a damn expensive fix when simply changing your existing ethernet switch to a 10/100 switch should produce exactly the same result for a lot less outlay.

I'd like to see your listening impressions as soon as you feel comfortable with giving them.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - by David A - 15-Dec-2019, 22:39