Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation
@octaviars - I think 46 to 48 deg C is consistent with my less scientific "it feels hot but you can hold your hand on it" assessment. We can agree that this is very hot indeed in comparison to a normal Ethernet switch!

I too am particularly interested in the comparison of feeding the Devialet directly with RAAT with my "spaghetti" solution. You could argue that the effect of the EtherRegen must be somewhat limited if it is followed by a network attached endpoint, a USB cleaner, a USB to AES/EBU reclocker. By comparison, there are many who state that the audiophile ideal is Ethernet direct to DAC. In my case, I much prefer the sound of my system via the "spaghetti" route, but will be fascinated to discover how the EtherRegen may change the relative performance of the two input methods.

@David A - It is perhaps worth clarifying that in my system, RAAT direct to the Devialet simply does not work with 24/192 material. With the first seconds of the first play it is either stuttering or an error message, so somewhat different to your situation. In my case, adding the EtherRegen takes CI board RAAT from not working to working fine. OK, an example of just one, others my get different results, but promising I would say. I agree that there are cheaper ways of achieving 100Base-T, so yes, we are all hoping for sound quality improvements on top.

My "cliff edge" test on Sunday was time restricted, and I had other commitments for the rest of the day. Sunday evening I had time for a very quick listen with the EtherRegen in place. This was "full spaghetti", with some very familiar music. First to say that my jaw literally stayed where it was, but I did find myself thinking that things maybe sounded a little nicer. There was one track in particular with a snare drum that annoys me a bit, it just adds a touch of harshness that is almost heard direct from the tweeter. With my quick listen Sunday it sounded like a snare "in space", directly between the speakers. Now, I could be imagining this, it could be that some earwax fell out of one ear during the night, I am really not sure. It was, to me at least, and running from aural memory, a small but distinctive difference. I am not entirely sure if this is my brain playing tricks, but it is something I will be looking for when I perform some direct A/B tests, it might be repeatable or it might not.

I have a busy week coming up, but I should be able to try a few things this coming weekend. In summary, first impressions have got me very intrigued, but also wondering if I have gone crazy.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - by Confused - 16-Dec-2019, 18:55