Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation
@Flashman

Are you suggesting that grandchildren make us out of pocket? Strange, I've noticed that too :-)

The whole thing about streaming high res files with RAAT over a gigabit connection has me scratching my head too. Roon have said there's a problem with how the Devialet handles the queue and I have no reason to doubt that but that raises the question off why the problem itself is intermittent. I could trigger it by streaming 192/24 content but sometimes the problem would start almost immediately when I started streaming at that resolution, sometimes it would take an hour or so, and the regularity with which it would occur when it started wasn't regular either. I never really had problems at lower resolution and others do. I can accept queue handling being the problem but that still leavess the question of what makes the queue harder to handle at some times than at others when using a gigabit connection. I don't have an answer to that and now, just 3 weeks short of a year after we got the Roon Ready firmware update from Devialet, I have even fewer ideas of what the problem is than I did when it first started being reported.

All I can say at this point is that it is now clear that there are at least workarounds for people experiencing the problem, namely connecting the Devialet to the network using either a 100T connection or wifi. I suspect that Devialet themselves could eliminate the problem with a firmware update that changed the ethernet port settings to 100T and no one would notice anything other than the disappearance of the problem. We don't need gigabit speeds for music streaming.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - by David A - 20-Jan-2020, 21:06