Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation
@mdconnelly

I mentioned that I had had one connection problem with the EtherREGEN. It started with playback pausing and getting the "audio file loading slowly" ewssage with a CD quality stream, not a high res stream, and then a little while later I lost the Roon Ready connection but could get AIR. I ended up disconnecting the EtherREGEN and reverting to my previous switch for a couple of hours after rebooting the Devialet and the Nucleus+ didn't help. That evening I reconnected the EtherREGEN and everything worked perfectly and has worked perfectly since.

I don't think the problem was the RAAT problem that concerns you. The problem occurred on a Tuesday morning. I'd had to shut the entire system down and disconnect it from power the previous evening because of an electrical storm, and it occurred when I reconnected everything the next morning and started playing music. I'm wondering whether something went wrong in the EtherREGEN's boot process given that both my Nucleus+ and 140 were also booting at the same time. My initial reaction was to think of the RAAT problem and I tried the things that had worked for me when I had that problem previously when trying to stream 192/24 resolution files, ie restarting the 140 and restarting the Nucleus+ but those things didn't work which is why I resorted to swapping the EtherREGEN out for a while so I could think about it. I started to wonder whether all I needed to do was to restart the EtherREGEN so I reconnected it and started it up while the 140 and Nucleus+ were both running and everything worked perfectly and has since.

I did try streaming at 192/24 for a few hours with the EtherREGEN when I first got it and had no problems at all with the high res files. I don't have any native 192/24 files so I was using Roon to upscale standard resolution files to 192/24. I don't notice any improvement in sound from upscaling in Roon, and the Devialet automatically does it anyway, so I went back to streaming at native resolution once I had tried 192/24 for a few hours without problems.

So that's the story of my one problem. Apart from that one instance the EtherREGEN has functioned flawlessly for the whole 5 weeks it's been in the system. So yes, I did get paused music and the error message but those things can happen for reasons other than the bug in the Devialet's firmware. I've got no reason to think that the problem was related to our firmware issue and good reasons for thinking it was just a problem with something going wrong when I reconnected and restarted the whole system including the EtherREGEN after it had been disconnected for several hours.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - by David A - 16-Feb-2020, 01:29