Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation
(28-Feb-2020, 02:07)mdconnelly Wrote:
(28-Feb-2020, 00:31)Flashman Wrote:
(27-Feb-2020, 18:43)mdconnelly Wrote: @Flashman - keep us posted as it breaks in!  If you believe it sounds better than the Bonn N8, how so?
Mike, it's always difficult to be objective but I sense a better cohesiveness in the music presentation.  Instruments seem better defined on the sound stage and voices, in particular, sound richer.  Some say with continued break in that music becomes more holographic.  I am guessing that means a wider sound stage but, really, who knows?  I feel I made a good buy as I get a state-of-the-art switch and a solution to the Devialet handshake with Roon RAAT.  Come to Charleston and I'll play some music for you!

It is very much still on my bucket list although I must admit the extreme heat (emphasis by Flashman) has me a bit concerned.  I've seen that sighted numerous times.  That just seems a bit strange from a design standpoint.  But I would think that a well placed heatsink or two such as @octaviars posted a few  posts back would tame it nicely.
Mike, regarding heat, the ER casing can be really hot to touch (48-52C/118-126F according to the ER manual).  The manual states that the components inside typically operate at half their thermal ratings, so no issue there.  The manual further states that the case is the heat sink, though I have seen some people actually apply heat-dissipating fins to the unit (not recommended by manufacturer UpTone).  I felt around the unit and the heat is not transferring inside my BDI cabinet; it's confined to the unit itself.  Not a problem for me, however, for others, the heat may be an issue.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - by Flashman - 28-Feb-2020, 13:40