Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation
I got my first “audiophile” switch almost 2 years ago; an Audiovox SE. The sound was noticeably better than my TP Link switch which I junked. Until recently, I was quite satisfied and contented with the sound. Then I saw the reviews about the Uptone audio EtheRegen and ordered it with a Keces P8 Power supply. The sound was more full-bodied but I immediately noticed that it added significant Coloration to the sound and the highs we a bit too shrill for my liking. Even after giving it ample break in time, I really didn’t like it. Then I took the big plunge and ordered the €4150 JCat M12 gold switch. After letting it break in for two weeks, I actually quite like the sound. But here is the catch: to get the best sound out of it you have to get the JCat optimo duo 3 linear power supply which is another €1500 So the total cost ends up being €5650 inclusive of two ethernet cables. That’s a ton of money and after listening to my system a lot of people may say that the Audiovox SE is a great bang for the buck at €900. If I were to do it all over again I’d most likely get the Melco S100 which is $2200 and you get to choose your own ethernet cables with it rather than being stuck with the one supplied with the M12 Gold switch. In its defense, the M12 gold has what I would call a mature sound that grows on you and is an acquired taste like fine Wine and cigars. My next project would be a very interesting piece of equipment called the fiberbox II Which is made in Hong Kong and I just ordered it in the extreme version which is around $1500. I should get it in a week and it will be interesting to see how much of a claimed noise isolation it provides. The link is below

https://www.howenint.com/products/fiber-box-ii

Most likely a better option than the TP link ethernet media converters. I think the only money that has been wasted was on the EtheRegen, not my cup of tea

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - by salk61 - 07-Jul-2020, 18:24