Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation
(02-Apr-2018, 21:01)Confused Wrote:
(01-Apr-2018, 19:08)amabrok Wrote: So what's the idea exactly? Are these supposed to sit between your router and ur networked audio components?

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

I think the idea behind the JCAT M12 Switch Gold is it sits between the audiophiles wallet and JCAT's annual profits account, it's primary function is to move money from one to the other.

Technically speaking, I think they are only of interest to people who run a remote computer to a network attached endpoint, such a microRendu, SOtM sMS-200 or similar.  Maybe also with AIR or the CI board.  Why do they work?  Reducing noise is one aspect, so stopping RFI/EMI in the ethernet feed getting to your delicate hifi kit.  Even a basic $20 switch will perform this function though, although not completely.  There is then the controversial subject of high-quality low noise clocks in the switch, some say these are the route to audiophile joy, other say this is pointless for an Ethernet feed that will ultimately be buffered.  I'd love to take part in a blind ABX test of the M12, I also bet that not one positive review of the thing will include a proper blind ABX test.  I am not saying that the M12 will do nothing positive, just that the most glowing reviews will be subjective only.

For someone like yourself running an Aurender, they are of no use whatsoever, so you can save your money for something fun!
I’ve just started to read this thread.  I too have an Aurender N10 server, may I ask why an audiophile switch isn’t relevant to an Aurender user?  I look forward to your reply (and maybe use the cash saved for a better AES/EBU cable!)

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - by Lincolnlad - 27-Jul-2020, 13:44