Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firmware 7.1.3 to 10.1.0, do I need more?
(27-Apr-2018, 10:23)Axel Wrote:
(27-Apr-2018, 10:03)amabrok Wrote: Hello Friends

As you may have noticed I have been away for such a long time due to work/life obligations. Not only away from the forum but I was away from my system as well. and man it feels good to be back!

In the process, unfortunately my system was so neglected that I did not even have time to update its firmware and I could not believe when I realized that my D400 was still on firmware 7.1.3!

Today I got my act together and upgraded the firmware to version 10.1.0 along with new configuration files. and boy oh boy did the sound improve! I do not want to exaggerate, but my D400 is unmistakably better now! It is more open and has better control on lower frequencies like never before. I honestly believe now that I was doing myself a big disfavor by not upgrading the firmware a long time ago. 

Actually, the system now with FW 10.1.0 sounds several notches above FW 7.1.3 to the point it makes me wonder what would I get in terms of sound quality (and not any additional functionality or features) if I upgrade to Expert Pro with CI? Also what is the risk of any potential issues related to CI bugs? or is that sorted out?

What do you guys think? I would really appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Thanks!
Hi amabrok, nice to see you back.
I think you would appreciate the improvements in SQ that having your amps upgraded to Pro would bring. Soundstage, placement of different instruments and air around those instruments has improved, as has bass extension and control, treble purity, midrange clarity etc. All of the improvements you have noticed going from 7.1.3 to 10.1.0, you will notice even more with the Pro upgrade.
The CI upgrade is a bit more difficult to answer. It depends which inputs you intend to use. I use phono inputs, Ethernet and AES/EBU without any problems at all, but there are some on the forum that have had problems.
I think it would be worth going for the CI upgrade though. Any problems that you might have should be ironed out with the next firmware upgrade.
Hopefully!
Thanks Axel

I mainly rely on the USB connection which I have heard here on the forum that it has ideally improved a lot with CI upgrade. Would be another reason to upgrade I guess.

It was really a very pleasant surprise today after the upgrade. Which is encouraging me, to say the least, to seriously consider the upgrade to the Expert Pro with CI

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE

Messages In This Thread
RE: Firmware 7.1.3 to 10.1.0, do I need more? - by amabrok - 27-Apr-2018, 11:14