Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Triple Phantom Setup
(06-May-2018, 11:20)ogs Wrote: For this to work 'properly' on a stereo recording you'd first remove SUM of L and R and route this to your centre Phantom, then send L -R and R -L to L and R respectively. Actually there exist a few MCH SACDs that contain the three original channels of the recording. One of these is "We Get Requests" by Oscar Peterson Trio (Absolute Sounds).

I do not know if this matrix is easy to achieve with Phantoms as they only take digital input. The easiest is to run L and R as a normal stereo pair and the centre Phantom as mono (mix mode) at lower level, something like 10dB below the main channels. I think at least one Devialet Chat member is using a setup like this. If the main pair is widely spaced, a centre channel would absolutely make sense.

Thanks for your insightful reply, pretty much what I was looking for.
What would you consider widely spaced? I have them positioned next to a 65 inch TV. Id say they are roughly 3.5 meters apart from each other, do you think a third Phantom would improve the soundstage/immersion?

If anyone with a similar setup is reading this, it'd be amazing if you could post pictures of it and your overall experience!

Thank you in advance

Messages In This Thread
Triple Phantom Setup - by cudifying - 06-May-2018, 09:54
RE: Triple Phantom Setup - by ogs - 06-May-2018, 11:20
RE: Triple Phantom Setup - by cudifying - 06-May-2018, 13:33
RE: Triple Phantom Setup - by ogs - 06-May-2018, 16:31
RE: Triple Phantom Setup - by Don - 06-May-2018, 16:39